$5000 bottle of Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you can get it way cheaper than 5 grand. I may be way wrong about that though. A bottle of IPA from the 1850's that sailed on a ship on some arctic expeditions, sealed and full of the beer, just sold for almost half a million bucks on EBay.

"Tutankhamun Ale" holds the record for the most expensive single bottle of beer ever sold. The first bottle of this brew went for $7,686. It was developed by archaeologists from Cambridge University's Egypt Exploration, and Scottish and Newcastle Breweries. They uncovered an ancient kitchen in the Sun Temple of Queen Nefertiti, a relation by marriage of King Tut. They examined the dregs in the ancient brewing jars, deciphered hieroglyphics, and excavated at least 10 brewing rooms. They only produced enough ingredients to make 1,000 bottles of "Tutankhamun Ale". The first bottle went for an outrageous price of $7,686, but the rest were sold for about $76, although at an auction at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, some were willing to pay more than $500.

Yeah, I am willing to bet you could find it MUCH cheaper.

i could not possibly justify drinking a beer that costs me more than $10 a bottle

no way in hell

if i can't drink it --- then it is worthless

I think I would buy Sam Adams Utopia first at least I could drink it.

When I was a kid growing up in San Luis Obispo, Ca I used to search out the old victorian houses before the demolition crews got there. Mainly for the lead pipe and brass fixtures buried under the walls that I sold at the scrap yard.
I also collected antique bottles and under the front porch of one house found a wooden case of full beer bottles. These bottles were approx. 30 0z with swing tops, The paper lables were weathered but in perfect condition covering the embossing on the glass. The beer was McCaffrey's, a local brewery that went out of business before WW1. These bottles had applied lips to them so they were from around 1910 or before. We did open one bottle, the rubber seals were in bad condition. The stuff smelled like swamp, nobody tasted it. I eventually sold the case for 40 dollars to another collector. You have to remember this was like in 1968-69. Wish I still had that case today just to look at.
AP

Latest posts

Back