50% off for Inkbird Bluetooth Wireless BBQ Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two thermopens. As an avid grill-master, I'd love to see how these stand up. Count me in

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but I want to use it to monitor mash temp. The plan is to use a 4" square piece of rigid foam insulation, poke the probe through it, and float it on the top of the mash with the probe extending down into the mash.

I got mine last night and gave it a test run tonight.

In boiling water both probes read 210F (my Thermoworks RT600 thermometer read 210.2F). In a cup of ice water the two probes read 41F while my thermometer read 32.2F. Thinking that was a bit odd I tried a third data point in warm tap water. The two probes read 95F while my thermeter read 93.2F.

While my confidence would be bolstered by accurate readings across the three temps I tried, 32F is the limit according the spec sheet for continuous monitoring. Besides, I won't be using it at that temp and it seems to be right on at higher temps. I don't see the small difference in the 95F water to be a big deal.

Overall it seems like a nice product. A very simple interface (only one button on the unit) and an intuitive app with basic functionality that matches what I'd need and want, nothing more nothing less.

Thanks for the coupon code and I look forward to using your product.

Completed my projects. One Mash and one Turkey. Both worked great. The App lets me set the alarms and tracks progress real time. I was glad to see the alarms (both high and low) came in on both the phone and on the thermometer--I brew in my basement and don't always bring my phone downstairs! Great product…Thanks Inkbird!

Completed my projects. One Mash and one Turkey. Both worked great. The App lets me set the alarms and tracks progress real time. I was glad to see the alarms (both high and low) came in on both the phone and on the thermometer--I brew in my basement and don't always bring my phone downstairs! Great product…Thanks Inkbird!

Thanks for your sharing. It seams it meets your need.

I was having problems with reading accuracy and upon contacting a company representative, I was informed it was not intended for use in water. She informed me the wire is not waterproof.

I was having problems with reading accuracy and upon contacting a company representative, I was informed it was not intended for use in water. She informed me the wire is not waterproof.

I BBQ compete and go through wires due to them getting wet. They can usually withstand a rain, but a soaking or repeated rain will do them in. Keep the electronics bone dry.

If you need a water temp in a pinch, you can dip the probe, but keep the wire dry. FWIW, I love probe thermometers, but I use an old fashion dial thermometer in my brew pot.

I BBQ compete and go through wires due to them getting wet. They can usually withstand a rain, but a soaking or repeated rain will do them in. Keep the electronics bone dry.

If you need a water temp in a pinch, you can dip the probe, but keep the wire dry. FWIW, I love probe thermometers, but I use an old fashion dial thermometer in my brew pot.

Never thought about getting a grill thermometer wet? But I do have one probe of my inkbird acting funky temperatures all over the place. About 1.5 months old. Went to pull the pork loin because it was overcooked and visual told me it wasnt anywhere near done. put in second probe and ya still rare. Just emailed inkbird, so we will see what they do for me.
Real bad timing as I have a canadian bacon and a pastrami going on smoker in morning and need the dual temperature feature.

Never thought about getting a grill thermometer wet? But I do have one probe of my inkbird acting funky temperatures all over the place. About 1.5 months old. Went to pull the pork loin because it was overcooked and visual told me it wasnt anywhere near done. put in second probe and ya still rare. Just emailed inkbird, so we will see what they do for me.

Real bad timing as I have a canadian bacon and a pastrami going on smoker in morning and need the dual temperature feature.

Yikes. I bought one for my dad, he loves it.

Keep us updated.

I did have a cheap (not inkbirk) meat probe melt on me one time in the oven. It was sending some weird numbers.

I highly recommend buying at least one replacement probe as a back up. IMO, there is never a convenient time for a wire probe to fail. You can check your main probe before starting by checking it's reading for the ambient air. If you aren't sure, plug in the back up probe to0 see if it reads differently.

Inkbird sent me a couple different models of these back in june to review for them. That said ill try to provide an honest non biased review of these since thats what inkbird asked of me, good or bad.

I got to use them a few times in july including during a big 4th of july party with multiple meats and probes being used in my electric smoker and "amazn" smoker pellet maze (which is an awesome invention btw for any smoker)

They sent me both the 2 probe model and the 6 probe version and they both work really well with my motorola droid turbo phone.

The things I like about them are,

The long range, they still worked when I was like 40 ft away from my smoker which is not typical on many bluetooth devices I tested.

I like the fact that you can set the alarms for your own custom temps on each probe.

They show you a bar graph of your meat temps which helps to see whats going on and when things stall as far as temps.

The probes are all stainless including the shielding on the cables which is nice, I had a non bluetooth wireless probe setup which had a plastic base and always worried about it melting.

The app is pretty straight forward and easy to use and easily found on the playstore.

A couple things that I didnt care for which are related to each other and could honestly be something I did wrong...

I could not seem to find an easy way to close the app... even when I thought I had closed it the phone still had a bluetooth connection (and since It doesnt pair with the device through the bluetooth manager like most devices with a pairing code it made things confusing because it didnt show up there)
I thought I had disconnected it from my phone and tried to connect my girlfriends samsung phone so she could monitor things while I made a quick run to the store... well Her phone would not connect it seemed no matter what I did.. a bit later the alarm went off on my phone and kept going off and the only way I weas able to stop it was to disable the bluetooth function on my phone. this meant I couldnt use or connect my bluetooth speaker unless I actually turned the ink bird bbq unit off with the switch and then connected to my speaker. GF's samsung s5 phone then connected fine to the inkbird unit.

Hopefully inkbird can add an exit app button or at least point me to what I did wrong if there is such a button?
Ive never used a bluetooth device that did not show up in my android bluetooth manager and I do prefer managing connections from there so I can easily see what is and isn't connected. I did just recently share this with them in hopes they can easily correct it or tell me what I may have done wrong.

That said both units worked great otherwise and I use one with my electric smoker and my summer camp/cabin and the other for my grilling at home. They both work with the same app. I would not hesitate to buy one of these if I didnt already have one. Unlike a lot of the Chinese made goods you can find online Inkbird does genuinely appear to care about providing good products and improving them to meet consumers demands.

Hi Friend,
This is Sistar from Inkbird. We find your contact information from this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=594164
We are requiring IBT-2X review recently, if you have bought the inkbird IBT-2X, we can refund you 20% by paypal exchange for a product review.
And if you didn't buy it before and wanna to have one recently, we can share 50% off discount exchange for a review.
Any idea, pm me freely, thanks for your concern.
Yours sincerely,
Sistar

Can you send me 50% off also. Need one bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Friend,
This is Sistar from Inkbird. We find your contact information from this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=594164
We are requiring IBT-2X review recently, if you have bought the inkbird IBT-2X, we can refund you 20% by paypal exchange for a product review.
And if you didn't buy it before and wanna to have one recently, we can share 50% off discount exchange for a review.
Any idea, pm me freely, thanks for your concern.
Yours sincerely,
Sistar

Ordered mine today! Just in time for large quantities of bbq over Labor Day :ban:

Will review for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered mine today! Just in time for large quantities of bbq over Labor Day :ban:

Will review for sure!

Free 1 day shipping?!?! This thing was in my mailbox the next day and I don't have Prime...:ban:

Opened it up...tossed in a couple batteries and downloaded the app...BOOM!

The app looks cool...the graph is neat...I was happy when I changed from C to F in app it also changed display on base. No magical combination of buttons to figure out on base...just use your phone

I think you will have a hard time beating this for $28 including shipping....

I have Inkbird controllers on my ferm chamber and keezer and have been very happy....looking forward to same from bbq thermometer

Did a small pork loin for dinner tonight as a trial run. This thing is neat...pork was perfect. Told my Dad about it and now he wants one

Thanks Inkbird!

Back