5 Gallon Stainless Steel Ball Lock Cornelius Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I am as insane as my wife says I am... How many 5 gallon stainless steel ball lock cornelius kegs does the average avid homebrewer own??? I'm up to 14 but would like to get to 20. She thinks I am nutz. Add that to six fermentation buckets and 10 glass carboys - so there are usually 8-10 batches of something in progress...

Well I have 32, but I also have 12 taps I like to keep flowing.

Wow..... What size stretchy pants do you own? I would be 500lbs if I had 12 taps flowing.:D I have to keep the keezer about 100 yards from the house in an outbuilding to keep from constant filling. Laziness actually can prevent obesity in my recent study. I recently invested in 1L glasses to honor Octoberfest though so oh well:mug:

I am trying to decide if I am as insane as my wife says I am... How many 5 gallon stainless steel ball lock cornelius kegs does the average avid homebrewer own??? I'm up to 14 but would like to get to 20. She thinks I am nutz. Add that to six fermentation buckets and 10 glass carboys - so there are usually 8-10 batches of something in progress...

You are crazy, but it's cool. I have a 4 tap keezer and currently have 4 kegs and would like to increase the number to about 6 for again purposes as well as get a few 2.5 and 3 gal for experiments. Wife is already giving the stink eye over the 4 though. Best to just be happy with the 14 you have and slowly buy one every 6-12 months till you hit that magic #. Wife's can sell kegs really fast on craigslist I have seen:D

Four tap keezer here and 10 kegs. I only have two fermenters but usually have at least one full all the time, and transfer into a keg for storage if there's not room in the keezer yet. I keep my wife happy by having one keg full of beergarita for her.

The beergarita isn't anything that's fermented, just mixed ingredients, so it's easy to throw together when she's getting close to empty. She has her friends over for scrapbooking parties in the basement and they burn through that stuff.

Four tap keezer here and 10 kegs. I only have two fermenters but usually have at least one full all the time, and transfer into a keg for storage if there's not room in the keezer yet. I keep my wife happy by having one keg full of beergarita for her.

The beergarita isn't anything that's fermented, just mixed ingredients, so it's easy to throw together when she's getting close to empty. She has her friends over for scrapbooking parties in the basement and they burn through that stuff.

Tell me more about this magical elixir that keeps the wife from being a B! I could use that to increase the stash.

it's kind of hard when you keep seeing deals on craigslist...if you can get them for a deal part of your brain goes "I can always sell them for more later...". I think it's the same part of the brain that says "I know I've got 10 batches in the pipeline but today would be a great day to brew!".

Tell me more about this magical elixir that keeps the wife from being a B! I could use that to increase the stash.

Here's the basic ratio she uses for pitchers of it - we scale it up depending on how many people we expect to have drinking it. I keep it in the keezer but serve it through a short hose and a picnic tap, so we do have to open the top of the freezer to dispense. I was concerned about the acidity and my shanks/faucets so went with the picnic tap, but maybe it's not a big deal.

- 2 beers (We usually use something cheap and light.)
- 1 12 ounce can of limeade (I strain out the pulp)
- 12 ounces of tequila. (just fill the limeade can)
- 2 can of Sprite or 7-up.

I keep it at about 4 psi, and it carbonates very slightly over time, but with the beer and soda mixed in, you don't want it flat. Serve it over ice in a salt-rimmed glass with a couple lime wedges. It's a little sweet for me, but pretty refreshing.

Here's the basic ratio she uses for pitchers of it - we scale it up depending on how many people we expect to have drinking it. I keep it in the keezer but serve it through a short hose and a picnic tap, so we do have to open the top of the freezer to dispense. I was concerned about the acidity and my shanks/faucets so went with the picnic tap, but maybe it's not a big deal.

- 2 beers (We usually use something cheap and light.)
- 1 12 ounce can of limeade (I strain out the pulp)
- 12 ounces of tequila. (just fill the limeade can)
- 2 can of Sprite or 7-up.

I keep it at about 4 psi, and it carbonates very slightly over time, but with the beer and soda mixed in, you don't want it flat. Serve it over ice in a salt-rimmed glass with a couple lime wedges. It's a little sweet for me, but pretty refreshing.

I am going to have to try that and see how it works. Sounds like something she would drink. Thanks

What sparked it was a conversation regarding our home "office" where 40 gallons of Skeeter Pee, 28 gallons of Apfelwein and 12 gallons of Pinot Noir are bubbling away.... Then I see an email from midwestsupplies mentioning that used ball locks are in very short supply. Then I see a few sites wanting $55 or 60 for one - along with one site wanting $40 each (homebrewing.org)... Good Deal - need MORE kegs to age this stuff! I wonder if the used supply is actually close to being exhausted. that would suck to have to snag them for 140 a piece brand new.

The short supply was a bunch of BS by MWS to get you to buy from them! You can find used ball lock kegs all over the place ranging from $28.95 and up. Dont drink the kool-aid from MWS and believe that crap!

Rant over... brew on.

+1 to keggle brewing. He's local to me, prompt, fairly priced and easy to deal with

If you have a chance tell the guys at Keggle brewing that Mick in North Liberty, Iowa thinks they rock. The kegs they have sent me are just as good as the good condition kegs that I have bought from other retailers but Keggle brewing costs about 40% less.

Have over 20 now, treat them good and they'll last forever...I'll be happy with 50 cornies...there stackable.
I brew 15-20 gallons so they fill up pretty quick.
Check with brewclubs in your local area and see about group keg buys ..
That's how I scored most of mine...
Igotsand

I have 7 ball lock and it is a good number for me. 4 on tap, one on ready reserve, two waiting for fill. We are considering another keg fridge, so I will have to get more. I am close to getting a good deal on some pin locks, in about 2 weeks. Think single digit $ each. Sweet. The basement will be pin lock if that happens.

8 (

Back Ordered right now... I'll have to keep an eye on this site for when they come back in stock.

Check the shipping before you get excited. The total for one was like $25 for me and the Second was almost $40. Shipping was way better at homebrew.org

Not sure how you figured the shipping RoughandReady but I ordered 4 this weekend and shipping for all 4 was only $23.

Not sure how you figured the shipping RoughandReady but I ordered 4 this weekend and shipping for all 4 was only $23.

$41.15 for Homebrewing.org and $59.44 for Kegglebrewing.com for 4 kegs shipped to California. Not always nice living on the Left coast....... Awe who am I kidding, it is pretty nice.:fro:

Back