5 gallon extract kits - initial boil volume 5 gal boil pot - hop utilization adding LME at intervals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike the IIPA

Reaction score
What an epic title.
"5 gallon extract kits - initial boil volume 5 gal boil pot size- hop utilization adding LME at intervals"
Wanted to make sure I was specific in the whole scope of my quest.
The IPA extract recipe kits I purchase at MoreBeer have the same genetic instructions for all extract kits and I have had success with kegging but want to see if I can do more better ha!.
I like my IPA beers with a high IBU. I don't mind hints citrus notes and all that stuff.
  1. I have Researched about Not adding all the liquid malt extract at one time, To better aid in hop utilization.
  2. With a combination of more liquid during the boil.
  3. But understanding if I add more liquid to boil pot I might have to cut down on the hops?
If anybody has any experience in deviating from the MoreBeer Extract instructions or simular that can aid in numbers 1 and 2 and 3 Please let me know.

Are you doing a full volume boil, or do you plan on boiling 3 gallons or so and topping off to hit 5 gallons?

If you're doing a 3 gallon boil definitely add at least half to 3/4ths of the LME at or near flame out, this will greatly improve your hop utilization because the boil gravity will be so much lower. This will also help you get a nice golden color.

What does the hop schedule look like? I would not remove any of the hop additions. Besides the first additions, you could push them later in the boil or put them in at flame out to try and improve hop notes, but the hop schedule can help us help you.

If you're doing a full volume boil, I'd add about half of the extract within 10 minutes of or at flameout (mainly to improve color, also yields more IBU's)

I only have 10 batches under my belt, but I’ve come to view the kit instructions more as suggestions.

I’ve been experimenting with adding liquid extract within the last 10 minutes or at flameout. I usually boil 4 gallons and add a precooled gallon to bring volume up depending on my temp corrected OG at flameout. I have noticed much better hop utilization, but not to the point if being overkill. No idea what my actual IBUs are since I’m not using software to calculate anything.

I’d give it a shot. Maybe check out beersmith for a trial and run your numbers through. I’ve been pretty pleased with late LME addition brewing.

When I do extract brews, I add the malt extract at flameout. Your run less of a chance of scorching the extract and you don't have to wait until your wort comes back up to a boil.

Back