5 gallon corny keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
My hands do not fit inside the mouth of my 5 gallon corny kegs. Can I use a toilet brush (new one: drunk:) to scrub the inside of my kegs?

Whether I am cleaning a used keg I just purchased or cleaning out one of my kegs that just emptied the process is the same. Take about the poppets and soak in hot water and Oxyclean free for a few minutes then scrub with a brush and rinse with clean water. Check O-rings and replace as needed. Clean the cap and O-rings(replace if needed). Fill the corny keg with hot water and Oxyclean free. Put everything back together, hook up to Co2 run some hot water through the out spout for a few seconds and let it sit for about 24 hours. Once the 24hrs is up rinse out with fresh water. If I am using it immediately put about a gallon of star san solution and run it through the out spout and fill with beer. If it needs to sit I fill with about a gallon of star-san solution and close her up until needed.

Jeeze, I thought I had big hands, but I just can reach the bottom of a ball lock keg before my bicep gets in the way. In any case, you can pretty much use whatever will do the job...

Cheers!

I use the soak method as well. It would be hard to know you scrubbed the container clean, but soaking will work every time. To cut down on time, use PBW and hot water. Shouldn't need more than an hour or two of soaking.

And if you have more than one keg, hook some beer line in between both "outs" and pump it into the second dirty keg. Then rinse. That'll also keep your dip tubs nice and clean.

Hot water and Oxyclean. Never had to touch the inside of a keg yet, no matter how nasty and gnarly it is.

I disassemble it, soak all the parts in oxyclean and water, then fill the keg with hot water, dump in a half scoop of Oxyclean, and drop the long dip tube in it to soak as well. Let it sit for 24 hours and rinse thoroughly. It doesn't matter how hoppy the beer was there is no trace of any odor after this process.

You could always get one of these...

image-3345515633.jpg

It's a Premier Stainless keg washer... Only about $6,000!!

Latest posts

Back