5 gallon batch in 20 gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
Today was the third batch in my new biab basket electric setup and the first 5 gallon batch. It was the centennial blonde in the recipe section. I had the basket built by arbor fab to have the maximum height and diameter relative to the 20 gallon spike brewing kettle with ripple element. That emphasis has proven to be absolutely successful when brewing a smaller 5 gallon batch. Pump was able to recirculate full bore from start to finish and the mash level never dropped even slightly. The dynamics will certainly change with a thicker mash within the basket. I'm excited to see how far I can push a higher og 5 gallon as well as low og 15.

How far does your basket sit off the bottom of the pot? I just got a Spike 20 gallon kettle, BIAB false bottom from Brewhardware and a new bag from Wilsner. I still have my original 15 gallon Bayou Classic pot but am hoping to be able to use the Spike kettle for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

It's at the 3.5 gallon mark I believe. The basket is 17 3/4 inches tall and the frame sits about 1/4 inch off the element. The baskets have about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the frame before the mesh starts so the actual mash sits 3/4 inch off of the element. I have about 1/4 inch of space all around the basket to the kettle wall.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496452666.022815.jpg

Cool, thanks for the reply. My kettle does not have the interior volume marks but as it sits the BIAB false bottom is about an inch below the thermometer port which is at the 4.5 gallon mark comparing it to the sight glass. I could drop the false bottom another 3/4- 1 inch too before it interferes with the dip tube. I think this is gonna work!!

Really digging that basket, looks killer. I thought about it but decided to spend on other things for now. Does it have a way of resting raised up in the kettle?

I have a 20G Spike kettle and BIAB. I have a false bottom (steamer insert) that sits ~2.5-3" off the bottom that I got with a previous kettle. I typically do 6G batches. The biggest I have done is ~13G into the fermenter for a ~1.050 session IPA. You could get a little more with a shorter boil, less evaporation, or by sparging or topping off. I try to do full vol boils. I have gone electric (3.5 kW induction + 1.5kW hotrod heatstick) for the past ~9 months, so my boil rate is lower than when i was using propane.

I know this is an old thread but would love to know more about your setup. Was looking into getting the same kettle (Spike 20G) for eBiab but having trouble deciding on location and type of ports :)

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Back