5 gal cooler shooting for 6.5 gal with batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Still setting up for my first AG brew date.

I plan to do a 5.5 gallon batch of a Sierra Clone. Recipe calls for 11 lbs of grain. Using the mash a sparge calculator for Brew365.com, I get 3.44 gallons of water for the Mash and 5.36 gallons of water for the sparge. I plan to start with 6.5 gallons of wort. I plan to use a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler for my MLT and plan to batch sparge. From the Green Bay Rackers Mash Calculator, it seems that I will be ok with the mash fitting if I mash at 1.25 qt/lb, but there is no way to fit the 5.36 gallons of sparge water into my 5 gallon cooler along with the grain.

My question is, what do you guys do for the batch sparge? Do you do it with two batch sparges? Is the amount of water that I am being told to use off? I plan to actually only sparge with the amount of water I need to hit 6.5 gallons, but currently assuming that the calculator has properly figured all of the losses. Should I only consider fly sparging? Is the best answer to use a larger MLT?

I am considering doing a modified fly sparge by topping the cooler off with sparge water as I drain the batch sparge using a ladle and a coffee can lid. I assume this will work.

Still setting up for my first AG brew date.

I plan to do a 5.5 gallon batch of a Sierra Clone. Recipe calls for 11 lbs of grain. Using the mash a sparge calculator for Brew365.com, I get 3.44 gallons of water for the Mash and 5.36 gallons of water for the sparge. I plan to start with 6.5 gallons of wort. I plan to use a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler for my MLT and plan to batch sparge. From the Green Bay Rackers Mash Calculator, it seems that I will be ok with the mash fitting if I mash at 1.25 qt/lb, but there is no way to fit the 5.36 gallons of sparge water into my 5 gallon cooler along with the grain.

My question is, what do you guys do for the batch sparge? Do you do it with two batch sparges? Is the amount of water that I am being told to use off? I plan to actually only sparge with the amount of water I need to hit 6.5 gallons, but currently assuming that the calculator has properly figured all of the losses. Should I only consider fly sparging? Is the best answer to use a larger MLT?

I am considering doing a modified fly sparge by topping the cooler off with sparge water as I drain the batch sparge using a ladle and a coffee can lid. I assume this will work.

Yes, two rounds of batch sparging, using 1/2 the amount each time will work. You're fine.

I wouldn't assume the calculator has figured your losses, though! When you get the first runnings out, measure them. If you get, say, 3 gallons, then you'll know you have to sparge with 3.5 gallons to get your boil volume.

Your hyrbid fly sparge will work, if you want to do that.

I dough in with the mash thickness I want then once conversion is done I top off with sparge water to 5 gallons give it a stir then wait 10 min. Drain and fill with remaining sparge water

I dough in with the mash thickness I want then once conversion is done I top off with sparge water to 5 gallons give it a stir then wait 10 min. Drain and fill with remaining sparge water

That I like. Good idea

Thanks Yooper. I had assumed that the batch sparge needed to be done in one pass to get best efficiency.

I also have a 12 gallon (48 qt) square cooler. From what I have read, I can get better efficiencies with the 5 gallon cooler. But in this case, would the 48 qt cooler be a better choice.

Even though I have yet to do a batch of AG beer, I have two MLT's. I tend to plan, over think, plan some more, ask questions, buy equipment, think some more, plan again, then build more stuff, then ask more questions. I am currently on the last "ask more questions" phase. Brew date is Dec 20 and I think I have thought this thing to death. Now waiting for my extract Sierra clone to come out of the primary, so I can dive into all grain.

Thanks Guys.

If you already have the larger cooler why not use that and do single batch sparge?

Thanks Yooper. I had assumed that the batch sparge needed to be done in one pass to get best efficiency.

I also have a 12 gallon (48 qt) square cooler. From what I have read, I can get better efficiencies with the 5 gallon cooler. But in this case, would the 48 qt cooler be a better choice.

Even though I have yet to do a batch of AG beer, I have two MLT's. I tend to plan, over think, plan some more, ask questions, buy equipment, think some more, plan again, then build more stuff, then ask more questions. I am currently on the last "ask more questions" phase. Brew date is Dec 20 and I think I have thought this thing to death. Now waiting for my extract Sierra clone to come out of the primary, so I can dive into all grain.

Thanks Guys.

Actually the two passes will get you slightly better efficiency. But you should not go crazy chasing efficiency. A single sparge is nice because it's quicker. A double batch sparge takes twice the time. And unless you do a mash out of heat the 1st runnings above 170 they will continue to convert while your dicking around with the sparge(s).

I'd recommend using the larger cooler. Make sure you pre heat it or you will loose temp during the mash. Eventually you will need the larger cooler (for higher gravity beers), so just learn to use it from the beginning. This will keep things consistent and possibly reduce your learning curve. Plus, with the larger cooler you can do a single batch sparge and save time and reduce complexity.

I read in How to Brew by John Palmer that having too thin of a grain bed was not good. I was assuming that with the 48 qt cooler, the grain bed might be too thin (ie less than 4 inches. My mash calculator has me at just over 4.5 gallons of volume during the mash which after you remove water from it in the 12 gallon cooler will be less than 1/4 of the cooler height which is 15 inches therefore the grain bed will be less than 4 inches). That is why I picked up the 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler.

Also, being the scientific type, I figured it would be fun to play with both setups to see how each affected the final product if at all. Only out 19 bill for the second cooler. Parts to convert coolers to MLT were available for free for both coolers.

You should be fine with the larger cooler. If it's rectangular just make sure to stir every 15-20 minutes to disperse heat.

You should be fine with the larger cooler. If it's rectangular just make sure to stir every 15-20 minutes to disperse heat.

I don't buy that. Where did you get that idea?

I stir it up real good at the beginning of the mash to mix in all the grain, break up all the dough balls, and even out the temps. Then I close the lid and it stays at that temp for the remainder of the mash.

If you open it and stir it often you will loose heat.

I used to use a rec cooler. Found that you end up with temp pockets from time to time. I use a 10 gallon cylinder cooler now which I like a bit better. I still open and stir a couple of times with it as well. Opening and stirring twice isn't going to cause you much heat loss.

Latest posts

Back