5 gal carboy for long term Brett fermentation of a 2.5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahpsp

Reaction score
All of my current fermentation vessels are 5+ gallons. I'd like to split a Tripel I will make soon after primary fermentation is complete, bottle half, and repitch Orval dregs into the second half. I'm concerned that my carboys are too big for that, but I'd prefer to avoid buying something else.

I have no CO2 system. I believe I've read about adding a bit of either sugar or fresh wort to the secondary as a means of boosting initial co2 production, then just basically not touching it to preserve the blanket.

Thoughts?

All of my current fermentation vessels are 5+ gallons. I'd like to split a Tripel I will make soon after primary fermentation is complete, bottle half, and repitch Orval dregs into the second half. I'm concerned that my carboys are too big for that, but I'd prefer to avoid buying something else.

I have no CO2 system. I believe I've read about adding a bit of either sugar or fresh wort to the secondary as a means of boosting initial co2 production, then just basically not touching it to preserve the blanket.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't want to chance long-aging a beer with that much head space. Do you have the capacity to scale up the tripel to a 7.5 gallon batch?

Back