5 Gal Batch of Mead/Cider in 5 Gal Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
My brewing friends and I just came into a good deal on 5 gal carboys! Yay!

Can you use a 5 gal carboy for primary fermentation of a mead? Should I start with a blowoff hose at first and then switch to an airlock?

I'd also like to ask the same question in relation to cider.

I've done pico batches of both many years ago in 1 gal bottles. It worked great but there wasn't enough of it!

Thanks!

Moon

Moonpile said:
My brewing friends and I just came into a good deal on 5 gal carboys! Yay!

Can you use a 5 gal carboy for primary fermentation of a mead? Should I start with a blowoff hose at first and then switch to an airlock?

I'd also like to ask the same question in relation to cider.

I've done pico batches of both many years ago in 1 gal bottles. It worked great but there wasn't enough of it!

Thanks!

Moon

No need for a blowoff hose, only beer wort has krausen.

Cheesefood said:
No need for a blowoff hose, only beer wort has krausen.

If you use fruit in the primary you will need a blow off. Just like red wine you will have a cap that needs to be punched down and will clog your air lock if you don't have head space.

if you leave enough head space (say 1/2 gal ) you'll have no problem. when fermment slow's down you can top off with water or honey or fruit puree.

The standard 5 gal carboys should have that much head space when filled with exactly 5 gal, right? Mine's not here (with me at work) and has been at my friend's house (aka our brewery) so I can't remember. I have a mark taped on at 5 gal.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions as we move ahead with that!

Moon

Back