5 days in and no activity from airlock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_HOP_GA

Reaction score
I know I have posted a similar question but I am thoroughly confused at this point. No co2 coming from air lock. One 5 gallon jug of pilsner and one jug of dunkel. Should I move either of them to a new Carboy for clarity?

Make sure your fermenters are properly sealed. And the pilsner should be fermenting @ around 148F or so. So you need to use more yeast at such low temps to get fermentation to start in the "normal" time frame.

What temps did you pitch at, how good did you aerate, did you use a starter and what are you fermenting in?

The temp is in the mid 60s and I am fermenting one in a glass Carboy and the other in a food grade bucket that came with a starter kit. The fermentation was crazy the first few days but now seems to have dropped off to nothing.

+1 to air leaks. Although, 148F fermentation will probably kill most or all of the yeast. (Yeah, I know that's a typo...just giving hard time.)

Fermentation is likely to be mostly done by this point. You need to get a hydrometer so you can check the SG. That really the only accurate way to know where the beer is at in terms of completeness of fermentation.

Yes, because 5 days really isn't early if it takes off right away on an average gravity beer.

Not that this means the beer is totally fermented out, only that it's not generating enough CO2 to regularly work the airlock or overcome any leaks there may be. This is why you need the hydrometer...or wait minimum of 2-3 weeks for good measure.

Crap I got them fermenting in the same place. Looks like I might need to figure out a temperature controlled box or wait for cooler weather to do the pilsner again. I will post on this thread and give you guys the verdict on this beer.

Also,when you see the mad bubbling slow or stop,it only means initial fermentation is over. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there.

Back