5/8 OD Copper for CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rausched

Reaction score
Has anyone used 5/8 copper tubing as the interior lining of their CFC? I have a 50' roll I wanted to use but every DIY I read uses 3/8 OD copper tubing with 5/8 ID rubber hose. There are 3/4 ID rubber hoses on the market but they are expensive so I was hopping for some feedback prior to wasting money. Thanks.

Most probably use 3/8" copper and 5/8" rubber due to the lower costs. Something you could try is 3/8" copper inside the 5/8" copper. Then if you wanted, you could immerse the whole CFC inside an ice bath and get even faster temp drops.

The trouble with 5/8" copper on the outside is that the ID of that copper is like 9/16" so the gap between the two tubes is only 3/32". That's probably not enough flow area for the coolant...maybe. The one thing helping you out is that city water supply is like 70 PSI so it should be able to run it pretty hard.

Back