5-10 Gallon Single Tier Strut Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually been trying to find some good casters and don't have any for the stand yet. They're on the to-do list and those ones are definitely nice. As promised here's a video of the system. Sorry it's a little dark; I filmed this after dark yesterday after I got home. I don't mention it because I didn't notice, but I apparently forgot to order 3 female threaded to tri-clamp adapters for the pumps as well. That's why these things are a work in progress though, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept waiting for the women to ring the door bell with your pizza.....BUT SHE NEVER CAME!!!! :ban:

BugHunter said:
Everything came in today and looks great. I'll be setting up most of the system this weekend and uploading a video hopefully some time tomorrow. There are a few loose ends I have to purchase yet (I forgot the silicon tubing... oops), but other than that everything's in order.

Are the kettles all 15 gallon? The BK seems short, and the HLT is tall..

Have you considered putting the HLT on the right side, an the BK on the left?

I like the strut BTW!

Are the kettles all 15 gallon? The BK seems short, and the HLT is tall.. Have you considered putting the HLT on the right side, an the BK on the left? I like the strut BTW!
The vessels are all 15g, though my batch size won't go larger than 10g for most batches to account for grain bills and boil-over negation (plus potential for future upgrade, though that's a low consideration). The BK looks short because the MLT is a bottom-outlet vessel and has a couple inches of skirt. The actual 'bottom' is 2-3 inches above the stand face. The BK has a nearly bottom-outlet setup with it's domed bottom but it's actually on the edge right where bottom domes out. I'm guessing you see the HLT as taller because it's narrower. That'd throw the perspective off. As for the process flow going from right to left... I never really thought about it. I suppose it's an artifact of our left-to-right reading method and way of thinking but most processes tend to go left-to-right here in the States. I'll have to map out hose lengths for the two layouts and give that one some thought.

Well things are progressing, just a little so lower than I had anticipated. A load of coursework and house chores have been getting in the two way of further progress but I should still be on track for an inaugural brew the weekend after the 18th. As you can see one of the HLT pump outlets doesn't have any silicon tubing connecting it to the MLT... Yah, I ordered 2 feet fewer hose than I needed so for now I'll be doing process swaps and use the HLT return for the sparge pump after mashing. It's not ideal, but until I get more hose on order it'll work.

image-3086603344.jpg

Just an update: The fIrst flame test came out flawlessly.

image-4210427450.jpg

Now to get the other burner installed and put this puppy through it's paces. :)

Any progress?

As a side note... I find it funny that you went with those wheels. I was really worried when first reading the reviews over a year ago. People were saying they were failing way below their rated load and that you should de-rate them 75%.

That would mean...

Max load, four 4" casters - 275#
Max load, four 3" casters - 150#

I've had 425# of beer alone in my keezer on 4" wheels (probably closer to 550# all accounted for) and right now 180# of beer in my fermentation chamber on 3" wheels. The wheels still look great, have no flat spots, and haven't even marred by hardwood floors after a year of use.

Just a quick update for those of you who're following along with this build and wondering where the heck I vanished to. I started brewing professionally on a 20-bbl system and between that and still attending university full-time my available homebrewing time has been practically nil since late Spring.

I certainly haven't abandoned this rig (it's bloody expensive!) but it is on the back burner. I'm working on a revamped process and stand to incorporate everything I've learned brewing professionally, so is that something you'd be interested in seeing a write-up and mock-up of?

Cheers,

Back