48qt cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
setting up brewtarget to use 15.5 keggle and a 48q cooler as a mash tun. What would the setting be for it?
upload_2018-3-12_7-54-35.png

What, the deadspace?

Depends on your manifold, but just put a few gallons in it, drain until it quits then pour off the remaining water and measure it.

The 48qt coolers I’m familiar with have a fairly high spigot, you can tip the cooler to eliminate most of the dead space and capture more runnings.

The specific heat of your cooler assumes the cooler is not pre heated. You can not preheat the cooler, and overheat your strike water...or most prefer to add strike water 10-15 high and allow it to preheat the tun, then when strike water cools to strike temp the cooler is preheated and you mash in...either way works, the latter can be simpler and more accurate ime.

What I was really asking was is this correct as far as mass? Since it is really a 12 gallon cooler with copper tubing on the bottom of it I assume its mass is greater than 9 lb.
upload_2018-3-12_11-45-54.png

Hey guys, lost everything I had on computer so I am setting up brewtarget again. Using 15.5 keggle and my 12 gallon(big blue rectangular cooler) with copper pipes as my drain. Once again asking, can anyone tell me what to put in for mash tun mass? Just starting back into brewing so wanna do it right.

Back