48 Qt Colman MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
Just finished a 48 Qt Colman rectangular MLT conversion. After reading Palmers, How to brew and the article on Tun Geometry and flow potential, I decided on 1/2" Diameter Copper and Brass. Also the dimensions of the 48 Qt are 9"x23"x 12". So in regards to spacing I went with 1/2 the distance of the spread from the sides, 2" on either side and 4" in between each runner. This should allow even flow throughout the grain bed.
Parts; 6' Copper pipe
4 copper 90's
5 copper t's
2 copper 45's
1 copper 1/2" threaded to slip-in adapter
5 3/4x2" fender washers
1 SS 3/4 x 2" washer
2 neoprene 2" washers
1 2 1/2" brass pipe nipple
1 1/2" brass ball valve
1 1/2" hose barb adapter
Teflon tape
Cost about $30 + cooler
I'll try and upload the pic's as I go. First remove the drain from the cooler, re-use the rubber washer from the cooler, put the rubber washer from the cooler on the pipe nipple. I had to get out the Dremel and modify the fender washers. modify the inside SS washer to conform to the interior of the cooler. Place the Neoprene washers on the pipe nipple, then the modified fender washer and the 1/2" copper adapter. This is the inside of the Bulkhead. Put this through the existing hole in cooler, work the original rubber washer into the hole of the cooler. I placed 5- 2" fender washers on the pipe nipple( modified the center holes with Dremel to slide over easily). Teflon tape the threads, attach Ball Valve and tighten. Teflon tape Hose barb and attach.
Cut copper pipe with pipe cutter( easy way) to what ever configuration you choose. The 45's will get the pipe up to the level of the manifold on bottom of cooler. I cut slots in the pipe with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and cut off wheel. Loose fitting all the interior pipe makes for simplicity. The cooler is 9" wide so I made the manifold 5" wide, so as to have 2" on either side and 4" in the middle.

Rectangular MLT.jpg

Inside Bulkhead.jpg

Outside Bolkhead.jpg

Slots in Manifold.jpg

Manifold in MLT.jpg

Very nice. That is a nice way to accomplish he manifold system. I may self have ben looking into designing a similar system. Good job.

Gnome, you may want to check with KiltedBrewer, he bought a 15-pack of SS washers, and was parting them out.

I bought two from him for my own cooler, they are of good quality.

Thanks Bobby M. I'll hit them tomorrow, if I can get out. Big freeze to night in Atlanta, Supposed to be Black ice until noon. Football, Pizza, HB and shut-in due to weather, dose it get any better.

Gnome said:
Thanks Bobby M. I'll hit them tomorrow, if I can get out. Big freeze to night in Atlanta, Supposed to be Black ice until noon. Football, Pizza, HB and shut-in due to weather, dose it get any better.

Anything wrong with just using the neoprene washers on the inside? Will that work?

Gnome said:

You should live up here in Minnesota. It will be below zero all month. Black ice, is just for starters. I would love to have your problems, so cheers.

Using the SS washer to back-up the neoprene and create a good seal. Did a check with 5 gal of 180f water for 1 hour, no leaks.

Gnome said:
Using the SS washer to back-up the neoprene and create a good seal. Did a check with 5 gal of 180f water for 1 hour, no leaks.

OK so I am assuming is nothing about neoprene that is going to affect the beer correct? No problems with off flavors or anything?

Because all I have as of now is the neoprene washers so I am going to just try that and continue to search for the SS.

Thanks.

One of the places I read to base my design on was" Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion" under the DIY section. They talk about the different approaches. Good, helpful read.

Very nice job, My only concern is the pipe going to the outlet is also slotted. Wouldnt the wort tend to want to use that pipe because fluid takes the path of least resistance?

If it weren't, there would be a lot of deadspace down in that recess. I don't think the path of least resistence will always be THAT tube. What about wort that was formed at the far end? It would go into a slot down at that end instead of fighting through the grainbed.

Latest posts

Back