44q Bayou Classic electric element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanema

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need to get an electric element for my 44 quart Bayou classic. I was considering the 5500w ripple element kit from brew hardware:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/elementkit_tcrip_wl.htm

But I'm not sure if it'll fit. Does anyone have this setup? How does it fit? What is everyone else using who has this kettle? And how well does that work/fit? Was hoping for a single low watt density element in the 4000+ watt range...

Thanks!

I have this exact element in a 15gal Megapot

I also have a false bottom to keep the bag off the element

Ya I love the steamer basket that comes with these pots. I use that as a false bottom and use it to support my grain bag. I think the 62 quart Bayou classic is a bit wider than the 44 quart variety, so I'm not sure that this element is going to fit my pot.

I've sent the folks at brew hardware an email about fitment, and I was told he was going to measure once he gets back to the shop. Basically just wanting to know what other people have successfully used in their 44 quart kettles.

Can't help with a ripple element fitting, but two 1500W hot rods fit in a 44qt bayou classic and give a good enough boil that powers needs to be throttled back some. With two elements criss-crossed I was able to reduce power as the cross point created a hot spot of more concentrated heat.

I upgraded to a 1650 and 2250 and can boil with 65% power for a 5gal batch. 85 to 90% power is enough to do a 10gal batch in a 15gal kettle.

Beer_EnGAeer, thank you for taking the time to make those measurements, I really appreciate it.

Bobby, I will try to give you a call today.

I made two of these using the 110v at 20 amp 10 gallon boil coil from Blingman. This required a 20 amp breaker for each to get thw full heat capability.
The basket sits right on top of the ball valve and boil coil nuts. I use a bag inside the basket. Works great. It did require me to use a compatible plug on connections.
It works great. I rarely have the grain milled etc by the time the water gets to strike temp. Waiting on the boil is about 30 minutes but I power off to squeeze the bags. I use a harbor freight hoist mounted near the garage exit to pull the full baskets out from off a rolling stainless table. Then I roll back over to my brew area.

Last edited:
Oh really, less than 13". That means that the 5500w ripple element should fit the 44 quart Bayou classic then. Thanks Bobby

Hey guys,
I need to get an electric element for my 44 quart Bayou classic. I was considering the 5500w ripple element kit from brew hardware:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/elementkit_tcrip_wl.htm

But I'm not sure if it'll fit. Does anyone have this setup? How does it fit? What is everyone else using who has this kettle? And how well does that work/fit? Was hoping for a single low watt density element in the 4000+ watt range...

Thanks!
I use a boil coil in my 10 gal Blichmann kettle and it works great for that size. It's a 3750w ULWD element and you can use it with a bag touching the coil without scorching, so no basket required.

Back