44-quart or 62-quart for 5 gallon eBIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
I purchased a 44-quart (11 g) Bayou Classic pot thinking it would be enough for 5-gallon eBIAB batches, but after doing some more reading, I'm thinking of selling it and going with the 62-quart (15 g) model. I don't want to be limited down the road if I want to brew higher gravity beers, and I certainly don't want to start cutting into the pot for hardware and an element without being sure. Am I being rational? Just need a reality check before I order the larger pot and sell the 44-quart! Thanks!

I use the 44qt with a basket, and do 6 gallon batches.

I normally brew lower gravity stuff, but on the occasion I brew
a bigger beer .065+.
I have to reduce the strike water volume,
then rinse the grain bag after mashing to get the desired boil volume.

It works just fine, with a small reduction in efficiency.

Cheers....

Thanks for the input. The SWMBO would be happier if I stuck with the smaller pot, especially because I've used it once for a stovetop batch and would have to sell as used.

When you rinse, do you separately heat the rinse water and pour it over the bag sitting in the basket? If I brew in the basement, I don't have a separate heat source other than the kettle.

I've purchased the basket with the notion that it would protect the element, but now I'm reading more "cons" than "pros" about using a basket. Thanks!

IMO you only need 15 gal pot for an occasional 10 gal batch. You can easily adjust strike water volume to accommodate any grain bill.

44 qt is plenty for 5 g batches, especially on a stovetop. For a very large beer, you might have to gently pour a small portion of sparge water through the bag.

Better to be occasionally inconvenienced with the 44, then be regularly inconvenienced with the larger 60 while making 5 g batches.

You made the right choice with the 44 for 5 g batches IMHO.

Reviving an old thread as this is something I am also debating. I am going to be looking to move to all electric with eBIAB as I am looking to just consolidate equipment, reduce cost as well as brewing footprint (Moving indoors for brewday in the new mancave is also a bonus).

I dont brew very many big beers at all but with something like a Pliny or Heady Topper Clone, the grain bill can be a tad bit larger than most and would be about as large grain bill wise as I would go..would the 44Qt be able to handle or would it be better to have the 62Qt for this..
Its only about a $40/$50 dollar difference on the spend and I want to remain as small as possible, but not be struggling to do these potentially larger brews.
As the OP mentioned, the kettle would potentially be my only heating source in this new brewhouse. I could potentially have a hot rod/heatstick in a seperate pot of water if needed, but I am really wanting to stay in a single pot for the brews if possible.

I dont ever see myself going beyond 5 gallon batches unless I started to do this as more than just a hobby which would be a whole different story.

The rackers calc tells us you can mash 32 lbs of grain in 8 gallons of water with a resultant mash volume of 10.56 gallons, or less than the 11 gallon 44 qt kettle.

That's a big 5 gallon batch!

Or 20 lbs of grain in 9 gallons of water results in a mash volume of 10.60 gallons, perhaps more realistic....

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

In the event that you may want / need to do a small sparge, say a gallon, even a cold water sparge would suffice negating the need for a another vessel.

The only possible advantage to the larger kettle is increased headroom while coming to a boil, with a 15 gallon kettle, with the proper wattage you could walk away and not fear boilover, or more likely a little wort splashing out the over the kettle rim. Even with the smaller kettle running proper wattage, boilover is not really a concern. With conservative wattage, an e-kettle approaches boil not as aggressively IME, and boil over threat is not like a propane burner IME.

The 44qt is lighter, easier to clean and sized nicely for 5 gal batches.

The rackers calc tells us you can mash 32 lbs of grain in 8 gallons of water with a resultant mash volume of 10.56 gallons, or less than the 11 gallon 44 qt kettle.

That's a big 5 gallon batch!

Or 20 lbs of grain in 9 gallons of water results in a mash volume of 10.60 gallons, perhaps more realistic....

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

In the event that you may want / need to do a small sparge, say a gallon, even a cold water sparge would suffice negating the need for a another vessel.

The only possible advantage to the larger kettle is increased headroom while coming to a boil, with a 15 gallon kettle, with the proper wattage you could walk away and not fear boilover, or more likely a little wort splashing out the over the kettle rim. Even with the smaller kettle running proper wattage, boilover is not really a concern. With conservative wattage, an e-kettle approaches boil not as aggressively IME, and boil over threat is not like a propane burner IME.

The 44qt is lighter, easier to clean and sized nicely for 5 gal batches.

Very good information..I dont think I have ever brewed nor will ever brew anything beer-wise bigger than approx 17-18lbs of grain. Sounds like the 44Qt is the better option for an e-Kettle.
If ever do need to do a bigger beer, I would most likely keep my keggle and cooler around for it as a propane cook and just do it in the fall or spring when the weather is nice. I still want to have the option of doing an outdoor cook from time to time, but not in the dead of winter, when its raining, or its so hot I melt.
:p

Back