4 Pin Lock Kegs = $99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
Midwest is having a sale on pin lock kegs, 4 for $99. only catch they are being sold as is.

Think of getting into kegging, and I feel like this is to good of a deal to pass up.

What are peoples thoughts on buying kegs as is???

That is a pretty good deal, what is the shipping on top of that? Pin locks are basically going to be the only ones available used in the near future as most of the ball locks are bought up at this point.

Problem with buying as is is you might have to replace some of the parts on the keg. The o-rings on all of them will need to be swapped which isnt reallly that big of a deal and will be like 5ish bucks each for a set.

Individual parts like release valves, poppets, posts, down tubes, can start getting expensive which is where you run the risk. However, most of the time poppets just go out so you are probably fine.

Problem with the pin locks is their valves on the top are one use so if you blow it you have to replace it. I am not sure how much those cost.

I would just look into how much parts cost and make a decision.

Do you know if they are guaranteed to hold pressure, because that's pretty important...

I just looked at the ad.... I personally would probably get them and take the risk... you could probably flip them if it doesn't work out...

Shipping is 25 then tax on top

they state that approx 95% of kegs they receive hold pressure no problem, but these are all untested.

Im leaning away from buying these

I bought 4 ball locks a while back that were not refurbed, it worked out well. They all had pressure still from soda fountains with syrup still in them. My 2 cents is get them along with O-ring kits (you can find online in large quantities for rebuilding)! Chances are good that if the outside is good the inside will be too. Changing O-rings is super simple and most kegs run around $40 a pop nowadays.

Its a risk, but the price is right.

some places are selling kegs with the rubber loose for more,
some places are selling "fermentor" kegs for more,

If they are from a warehouse cache as midwest states they were taken out of service and sold/stored. this means they will be nasty with 20year old soda residue. the o-rings are toast the fixed pressure release will be questionable (both sanitation and function)

$32 each shipped. 4 of them are on their way :ban:

they state that approx 95% of kegs they receive hold pressure no problem, but these are all untested.

Dude, do it. I bought my first kegs from them, and they're great. I understand these aren't tested, but I'd say it's worth the risk. Even if one is bad, that's still a great price for three. You definitely won't find a better price.

Heck, I'm tempted to get some....I run MFL fittings on everything so I could switch between ball and pin locks I suppose! I would just need some pin lock MFL disconnects. SWMBO might notice more kegs lying around though, so maybe not:eek:

Heck, I'm tempted to get some....I run MFL fittings on everything so I could switch between ball and pin locks I suppose! I would just need some pin lock MFL disconnects. SWMBO might notice more kegs lying around though, so maybe not:eek:

^Exactly. That's what I do, and it makes switching as easy as unscrewing a fitting. I don't understand why more people don't do this.

if your just getting in to kegging, a known good rebuilt keg from the start is nice, but you WILL get more kegs, you WILL be rebuilding your own, rebuilt keg prices WILL rise to almost the cost of new (they aren't far from a new AEB now).

this would be a heck of a sweet $99 "buy it now, use it down the road" addition to a shiny new kegging starter kit.

I couldn't pass it up.

After the Zymurgy discount, tax, and shipping, it was $116. So, $29 each.

Hell, I talked myself into 4 as well plus some MFL barbs and some liquid pin lock MFL connectors! Unfortunately they were out of the gas side MFL connects, would have liked to combine the whole thing. $134 shipped with additional stuff and discount! :D
Never have to many kegs I guess LOL

I bought a pallet of 60 a month ago to disperse through my homebrew club and the total price with shipping was $35 each for pin locks. So this is an amazing deal at $29 each shipped with the discount

Mine shipped today, I'm really interested to see how much work they will be to clean up. Thankfully I dot need them right away so I have some time to work on them

Where are people getting the o ring replacements? I am seeing them anywhere between 5$ for a kit (austin) to options of buying 10 complete for 19.99$ (ebay) to mix and match that works out to be about 15$ (brewbrothers - 10 diptube/post for 1.99 and 1.50 each for the lid).

Just want to get new o-rings to be ready for my 4 kegs that are on the way.

I bought mine from Midwest so that they were shipped with my order. I figure saving on the shipping would make them the cheapest

Got mine today, 2 hold pressure fine.

1 has 2 dents where the lid seals at, I think with careful bending I can get it to seal hopefully.
4th one is cracked at the lid. Maybe hammer and a spot weld?
Untested sure, but heck a simple visual inspection would tell you 2 of these kegs are bad.

3 of them still had soda in the bottom, very dirty and dusty.

What good is a keg that doesn't hold pressure? What can I use it for?

I got mine today.

These are my first kegs, so I don't even know what to look for. But from just a visual inspection of the outside, everything looks good. And two of them have pressure relief valves.

i got mine today. all were charged and holding tons of pressure. visually they look better than the ones i paid double far. three have manual relief and one has static. very good condition. one of the diet coke ones was about 1/4 full.

i got mine today. all were charged and holding tons of pressure. visually they look better than the ones i paid double far. three have manual relief and one has static. very good condition. one of the diet coke ones was about 1/4 full.

Same here! 3 had the relief and 1 was static! All are holding pressures and look better than others I have normally paid double and triple for as well!

all 4 were pressurized (really pressurized)and had static lids.
all had a few inches of orange in them

I got mine today, 1 had a small dent, 1 had pressure. But I forgot to order pin lock disconnects so I can't check them...I feel like an idiot for not ordering them.

Mine came Friday, all 4 had static lids and 3 had pressure. I don't have any pin lock gas connects to test the non pressurized one yet. All had sprite or coke residue and a few were banged up but will work fine.

the second four were rebuildable but in worse shape. none were holding pressure (one didn't even have a lid gasket)
rootbeer/coke/sprite/mystery gunk.
2 static lids/2 manual. statics are throw-aways, manuals needed feet and valve cores.
3 firestone are holding gas, one cornelius that I don't have conversion posts for.

so end result is $270, 5 hours work, a COMPLETLY empty spare parts box, 7 working kegs, 1 highly probable keg.

Well when I got home my 4 kegs were here. A quick inspection showed that all 4 had pressure releases. They look like there in good shape. Only one has a small dent where the lid sits. It had some pressure in it, so I hope its good. A good friend of mine gave me a CO2 cylinder over the weekend. So hope fully soon I'll have something on tap. Thanks to the Op for pointing this deal out.

Back