4 pack rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is happening in other places but lately, I see more & more "4 packs" showing up on the shelves in my local stores. The real kick in the groin is that they are selling for the same amount the 6 pack sold for before it "disappeared" from the shelves. I know Dogfishead has had 4 packs for a long time but now one of our local breweries is following the trend (Green Flash). First it was just their IPA but now it seems to be all of their products.

I home brew for fun and yeah, I like my beer but I still like to try lots of other beers. I don't mind paying 9 bucks for a sixer, but for a 4pack, come on, give me a break!

Anybody else share this gripe?

The only four-ers I recall seeing are the Sam Adams Imperial series, but I agree. At first, I thought they were 22 oz, but they are not. I also like to brew for fun, but I like to have a lot of fun, if ya know what I mean.
Anymore, I buy beer only when the pipeline runs dry, or to try a style I haven't had but want to brew. It's just marketing at it's best!

i have been noticing this a lot too. i guess i understand if you have some crazy abv beer and putting that in a 4 pack because a 6 pack would cost like 16 bucks, but i have seen a lot of styles that should not be a 4 pack.

I don't think it's just beers....it's pretty much every consumer good. It's a balancing act by manufacturers to pinch as many pockets as possible. Look at little debbie...they used to have 10 oatmeal pies for $.99...now they're prices are 50% higher AND you get 2 less pies...

I don't think it's just beers....it's pretty much every consumer good. It's a balancing act by manufacturers to pinch as many pockets as possible. Look at little debbie...they used to have 10 oatmeal pies for $.99...now they're prices are 50% higher AND you get 2 less pies...

i didn't think of it from that perspective but that makes a lot of sense.

jdlev is spot on. Look at the soda 8 packs that are deceptively packaged to look like 12 packs. You see them at $3 and think that's a decent deal for a 12 pack of soda... bastards.

Used to buy west coast IPA. Now it is a 4-pack for the same $$. I've skipped it since.

$9 for a 6er is quite a deal. That'd be good for a 4 pack around here too. The fours are always more expensives than the sixes.

Don't come to England then; we rarely get six packs. Only things in 500ml 4 packs, or more often than not they'll be lose on the shelves if it's anything half decent, or it'll be larger in a box.

One day I'll setup a brewery and offer six packs! I used to love them while I was your side of the Atlantic. Where I work we get corona in boxes of 24 bottles, separated into four 6 packs, so I've taken them to put my home brew in lol.

It's nice having a 6er of home brew, costs less and more importantly, tastes fantastic!

Assuming the per bottle cost is close to the same I would much rather see 4pks, example its easier to swallow a $10 4pk vs a $15 6pk, also much better than the mostly severely overpriced 22oz bottles.

Bashiba said:
Assuming the per bottle cost is close to the same I would much rather see 4pks, example its easier to swallow a $10 4pk vs a $15 6pk, also much better than the mostly severely overpriced 22oz bottles.

True. Paying 8 bucks for a 4 pack is one thing. But then you see single bombers for like 8-12 bucks. Sorry - I don't care how good your beer is. I am nit going to pay that much for it

Don't come to England then; we rarely get six packs. Only things in 500ml 4 packs, or more often than not they'll be lose on the shelves if it's anything half decent, or it'll be larger in a box.

Pardon my obviousness... 4x500ml = 2000 ml.

6 x 355ml (12oz) = 2130ml. So yes, a little less but not a LOT less.

Now some beers come in 33cl (330ml)... Yeesh.

And for what it's worth... Your 20oz English pints are TRUE pints with a measuring lines. Our US pints are 16oz if they are filled passed the top... A normal pour is more like 13-14oz in those "16oz" glasses.

US companies are very deceptive in their business practices!

M_C

Yeah, I guess I should have been more precise, these were 12oz. bottles.

On the bright side, when they released Sculpin in six packs instead of 22's, it dropped the price by about 30%!

Misplaced_Canuck

I hear what you're saying. The 4 packs are pretty rare though to be honest.
I'd rather have 6 packs of 12oz bottles (well, they're usually 330ml here '11.2' US oz) than 500ml (or 568ml 'pint' bottles). Mostly as the beer toward the end of the glass is more similar to the start of the glass in terms of carbonation, aromatics and temperature in the smaller serving size... unless you drink your beer quickly, then it's not so much an issue.

Is the problem people have with 4 packs that they are paying more per oz, getting less bottles, getting less beer or is it a sentimental thing as they don't have a nice 6er to stick in their fridge? 4 packs don't last very long...

Misplaced_Canuck

Is the problem people have with 4 packs that they are paying more per oz, getting less bottles, getting less beer or is it a sentimental thing as they don't have a nice 6er to stick in their fridge? 4 packs don't last very long...

For me it's paying more for less - really chaps my hide :mad:

True. Paying 8 bucks for a 4 pack is one thing. But then you see single bombers for like 8-12 bucks. Sorry - I don't care how good your beer is. I am nit going to pay that much for it

You sir, are missing out on some fantastic beer by boycotting the 'expensive' bombers.

I suspect it's a way of dealing with higher priced raw ingredients. But I do not think 4 packs are a respectful way of marketing beer. It's just not right!

IffyG said:
You sir, are missing out on some fantastic beer by boycotting the 'expensive' bombers.

Seems like most of these are Belgians. Which I don't care for anyways. I am sure missing out on some others. Probably. But its just too much to pay for beer.

Welcome to inflation gents. The gubmint is trying to hide it behind the CPI, but the issue isn't with the beer getting more expensive. They're just printing dollars so they won't buy as much raw material anymore. Thus, raw materials such as grain cost more. Retailers and suppliers are trying to hide the increases (I don't really blame them) by reducing unit quantity while maintaining prices. Expect more of the same for at least the next four years.

BTW: It's not just the dollar that's inflating. Most of the rest of the developed world's currencies are doing the same at various rates.

Quasi-political rant off now.

The only 4 packs i see are high ABV beers. Some examples....KBS, old rasputin, Celebrator. The KBS was 25 smackers for 4, and to me, totally worth it. Old rasputin was 20 and worth it and Celebrator is about 16 and a bargain for such a great beer. I guess if i had a favorite beer go from a 6 pack to a 4 pack for the same price, i'd be ticked, but i haven't yet. As for bombers, some are expensive but if the beer is good then its worth it. Bottom line is if you dont like the price of something, beer or otherwise, dont buy it.

4 packs tend to be higher ABV beers tho. economy sucks and breweries gotta make money. add up the costs of ingredients, brewing, bottling, labeling, marketing, insurance, transportation,employee salaries, benefits, and they still gotta make a profit.

It isn't like they are trying to rip people off; this is all caused by inflation. The dollar is worth less than it was before so the prices of raw ingredients goes up (along with fuel, etc.). Companies only really have two choices: raise prices or shrink packaging.

The only 4 paks I see around here are the specialty brews like Goose Island's Belgian beers or the New Glarus Unplugged series.

I haven't seen the six to four pack for beer change here either. But I have seen other consumer goods make changes. Usually, companies try to keep unit prices the same while reducing the quantity per unit. That's difficult with beer since the six pack of 12 oz bottles is well known by consumers. Other products are more susceptible to manipulation.

I haven't run into the 6 packs morphing into 4 packs for the same amount yet, but the "deception" has been going on in other areas for quite some time; coffee, once sold in 1 pound cans/bags is now 13 (or so) oz., canned tuna fish once 8 ounces, now about 5, quart bottles of Bud (back in "the day") sold for 65 cents, now... wait a minute, I don't drink Bud anymore, or in quart bottles...

True enough. I've spent too much money on $14 bottles of Deschutes Black Butte XX (which I down as soon as I get home) and Abyss (which are aging in the fermentation freezer, never tried one yet). I really need to try brewing that XX. At the moment I am thinking it's the best beer I ever had. Of course that opinion changes all the time.

On the other hand I'm done paying $16 a bottle for Rogue beers. They just aren't that good.

But I definitely am not done spending $10-$20 a bottle for beer but I only do it 2x a month on paydays.

Have one Abyss now, how else will you know how well it ages. Love the XX, but the Abyss is my all time favorite.

I'm amazed you're getting Black Butte XX for $14 in Hawaii, it's $13 20 miles from the brewery.

I haven't seen the six to four pack for beer change here either. But I have seen other consumer goods make changes. Usually, companies try to keep unit prices the same while reducing the quantity per unit. That's difficult with beer since the six pack of 12 oz bottles is well known by consumers. Other products are more susceptible to manipulation.

It's not so difficult to change the bottles. I haven't bought Grolsch in quite a while, but I noticed that their bottles are now 15.2 oz. instead of 16 oz. It's only 5% less, but locally the price has increased also.

I hear ya. Last year Widmer had their pitch black IPA at the same price as their other 6 packs. This year, it is in 4 packs and the same price as their 6 packs. No thanks Widmer, I'll just buy Deschutes Hop in the Dark, it's way better anyhow (even though it's only available in bombers)

Also. russian river reduced package size as well. Damnation used to come in the 750 now its only 375 for the same price :/

It's happening around here too. The giant eagle at the mall started carrying more & better craft beers from around the country that weren't available in this state,just the ones around us.? So,last Friday I finally spotted DFH 90min Imperial IPA. Pulled it out,4 pack for $10.99. Duvel Belgian in four pack of what looked like 8 or 10 ounce bottles,$13-$14 dollars. I think it's a little more than inflation...If AG brewing is cheaper than extract by so much,how come it seems like I'm paying extract beer prices? I mean,besides overhead. Just the price of the beer making,then add overhead divided by volume produced per batch. I'd like to see that.

It's like ice cream. You used to be able to buy 1/2 gallons. Now they're down to a quart and a half. But it's not any cheaper. And you run out faster (with two teenage boys in the house).

I guess it's just me but I'd rather see that 6er of Green Flash selling for $11 than the new 4 pack selling for $9. I guess some people probably draw the line at 10 bucks for beer so they do the 4 pack thing to keep it under the $10 price point. Oh well, I used to pay 35¢ for a gallon of gas and could buy 50¢ pitchers of beer on the Water Street strip - aaaahhhhh, those were the days (of course you could only get PBR or Strohs for that price!)

I try to stay away from bombers and 4 packs unless its something i really want to try, but it has to be from a brewery that i have the utmost respect for, and a style that they do well, or be modestly priced and getting stellar reviews from people i personally respect.

I rarley by bombers as most are $5+ only exception is and occasional sam adams boston lager or Shiner bock as thos are less than 2.50 around here.... and I almost never buy 4 packs, sorry DFH, your beer ain't all its hyped up to be, put it in a 6er under $10 and you'll earn back my buisness.

Side note, anyone here seen he 20packs of coke products in their grocery store that still sell for the 24pack price?

Back