4 Grain Double IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReformedBrewer

Reaction score
Howdy guys and gals. I got a recipe that I have been working on that combines a Lagunitas Sucks type of grain bill with a Pliny the Elder hoping schedule and wanted to know what you guys thought. I am mostly looking for help with the grain bill. I want a really great mouth feel but I don't want too much body as to cover up the hops. Should I add some carapils or crystal 60L? Are my adjuncts too high? Thank in advance

4 Grain DIPA

Ingredients
for 6.0 gallons (22.7 L) [Net: 5 gallons (18.9 L) after hop loss]

GRAIN
10 lb Two-row pale malt
2 lb Rahr Red Wheat
1 lb Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett)
1 lb Rye Malt
0.5 lb Cane Sugar

HOPS
3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
0.25 oz (7 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Sacch rest at 151 for 75 min

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
IBUs:90-95
SRM: 7

I'm actually working on a IIPA recipe myself and trying to figure this out. I don't know much about the grain bill, but do wonder what the point of adding cane sugar is. Is it purely for the alcohol content or is there another positive in this addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From what I've come to know, the cane sugar is to "dry it." You don't want the beer to become too malty and turn into a barleywine.

From what I've come to know, the cane sugar is to "dry it." You don't want the beer to become too malty and turn into a barleywine.

+1
Checking the web seems 1 lb of sugar should add approx .9% alcohol. The sugar does dry out a beer, just as Stout Observer stated. I'm brewing a black IPA which I'm adding 1# cane sugar to, just to be sure my adjuncts don't bump up the maltyness. The sugar should allow the hops to be more up front.

Just my two cents, but if you want to "dry" the beer out and keep it from being malty then try a lower mash temp. You would want to start in the lower 140's and gradually raise the temp into the high 150's. Good article I keep in my archive http://byo.com/stories/item/1604-what-mash-temperatures-create-a-sweet-or-dry-beer. I'm not a big fan of putting corn sugar in my beers, but sometimes its easier/convenient. It looks delicious though. :mug:

I'm not entirely sure I would try to combine those two beers based on what you say you're looking for in your finished product. I think that 'Lagunitas Sucks' is what I would consider to be a malty IPA-esque beer whereas Pliny is clearly a hop-forward double IPA. Both are great on their own for different reasons, however. If you're trying to combine the two, it's going to be near impossible to create something that tastes like both. In order to achieve the hop-forwardness of Pliny, you're going to need a much simpler malt backbone that takes a backseat to the hops. I guess what I'm saying is that if I were you I would choose one side of the scale to err on and then adjust my recipe accordingly, rather than try to hit a balance of malty-hoppiness

Back