4.4cu ft mini fridge for FV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Village idiot
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a couple of 4.4 mini fridges for either a ss brew bucket or a 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler.

Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-4-4-cu-ft-Freestanding-Mini-Fridge-Silver-Mist/1000551603

jfru9frh.jpg

17pbBQXh.jpg

Specs are (outside): 33.5"H x 19"w x 21" D.

Big Mouth Bubbler: 22"H x 11" Dia.

I'm thinking they will work? Anyone use these with a temp controller?

I have a 4.4 cu ft fridge; dunno if it is the same one, but it is the same basic layout (no freezer). Measurement is 11 3/4" from hump to door and 26" floor to temperature dial. I use an Inkbird controller in a quart mason jar full of water, and 120mm DC case fan to circulate air. They work fine.

That looks good without the freezer. I have one similarly sized. I did have to cut the door shelves some to fit a 6.5 gallon carboy. I use a thermowell to hold the probe. I like mirthfuldragon's suggestion to use a jar full of water as I don't have a thermowell for my bucket or fustis which I would like to use in my fermentation chambers. A friend is thinking of building a collar on his which is an interesting idea (probably discussed here somewhere). That would be a little less material than a full blown incorporation of the fridge into a constructed chamber.

Thanks.

Yea, I think it could work if I take all the crap off the door. I don't want a full stand up freezer bc I wanna be able to control each fv separate.

I'm going to get a ss brew bucket and put the 90 degree hose barb thingy on it.

I would get a wine cooler, but I can get two of these for the price of one of those.

I have a 4.4 cu ft fridge; dunno if it is the same one, but it is the same basic layout (no freezer). Measurement is 11 3/4" from hump to door and 26" floor to temperature dial. I use an Inkbird controller in a quart mason jar full of water, and 120mm DC case fan to circulate air. They work fine.

Thanks for the specs. The ss brew bucket is saying 20.5" height.

This fitting will work on the ss brew bucket lid:

1aZIvSah.jpg

Yea, I think it could work if I take all the crap off the door.
Oh, I did that too - one of those osculating multi-tools makes the job super easy. I tried taking it off by removing the screws that hold the door in, but the plastic interior door skin lip is what holds the gaskets in, so it is easier but also more destructive to leave the interior door skin attached and then cut out the shelves, etc.

This fridge is a bit more expensive, but will fit the big mouth bubbler and the SS Brew Bucket* with no need to cut the door. It's just under 12" from the bottom of the compressor hump to the door. The internal thermostat is also very easily bypassed so you can use an inkbird or other external temp control. Or you can use Fermentrack like I did:
IMG_1598.jpg

* I do not own a SS Brew Bucket and have not independently verified this, but numerous folks have put Brew Buckets in the Tramontina beverage cooler, which is identical to the Haier one except for the thermostat.

This fridge is a bit more expensive, but will fit the big mouth bubbler and the SS Brew Bucket* with no need to cut the door. It's just under 12" from the bottom of the compressor hump to the door. The internal thermostat is also very easily bypassed so you can use an inkbird or other external temp control. Or you can use Fermentrack like I did:
View attachment 673644

* I do not own a SS Brew Bucket and have not independently verified this, but numerous folks have put Brew Buckets in the Tramontina beverage cooler, which is identical to the Haier one except for the thermostat.

Hmmm. I like this one. Worth the extra $25 for sure. Thanks for the info! I'm gonna order them for pickup.

View attachment 673644

Is there a write up on the hardware side of Fermentrack? What hardware to use etc? I couldn't really find anything. Just the software side of it.

I think I got most of my information on building my controllers from reading the two Fermentrack threads. Unfortunately, there are two (here's the other one), and they're long. Here's a good build thread. If you'd be comfortable building the old STC-1000 temp controller, it's not much more difficult to do a Fermentrack build. The biggest issue is you may have to do a little bit of soldering if you buy a ESP8266 controller that doesn't have the headers soldered on already.

I think I got most of my information on building my controllers from reading the two Fermentrack threads. Unfortunately, there are two (here's the other one), and they're long. Here's a good build thread. If you'd be comfortable building the old STC-1000 temp controller, it's not much more difficult to do a Fermentrack build. The biggest issue is you may have to do a little bit of soldering if you buy a ESP8266 controller that doesn't have the headers soldered on already.

Thanks for the info. I'll read up on it.

If you do end up going with Fermentrack, the nice thing about this Haier fridge is that the built-in thermostat is manual and thus very easy to bypass. I was also able to fit all of the Fermentrack components (except for the screen, obv) in the thermostat enclosure, once I removed the manual thermostat. Thus I did not need to run any cables through the walls/door/whatever—I get the power to run the Fermentrack board and relays from the fridge itself. For my heater, I just made a pigtail from an old extension cord, and mounted that to the thermostat enclosure using zip tie anchors.

If you do end up going with Fermentrack, the nice thing about this Haier fridge is that the built-in thermostat is manual and thus very easy to bypass. I was also able to fit all of the Fermentrack components (except for the screen, obv) in the thermostat enclosure, once I removed the manual thermostat. Thus I did not need to run any cables through the walls/door/whatever—I get the power to run the Fermentrack board and relays from the fridge itself. For my heater, I just made a pigtail from an old extension cord, and mounted that to the thermostat enclosure using zip tie anchors.

After I get a few batches down, I'll def go that route.

Today I ordered 2, Haier 150 can fridges. Says they will be ready for pickup around the 17th.

I also ordered 2, Fermonster 7 gallon carboys with spigots / carriers / bungs / airlocks. So, I'll update once I have them in my hands.

Thanks!

After I get a few batches down, I'll def go that route.

Today I ordered 2, Haier 150 can fridges. Says they will be ready for pickup around the 17th.

I also ordered 2, Fermonster 7 gallon carboys with spigots / carriers / bungs / airlocks. So, I'll update once I have them in my hands.

Thanks!
lol I guess Im late to give feedback but I use fermonsters in the 4.4cf mini fridge you posted in the OP. Heres the link: Dual Fermentation Systems Build I just needed to cut some of the door and theres plenty of space at the top. Love the fermonsters by the way

lol I guess Im late to give feedback but I use fermonsters in the 4.4cf mini fridge you posted in the OP. Heres the link: Dual Fermentation Systems Build I just needed to cut some of the door and theres plenty of space at the top. Love the fermonsters by the way

That's good to hear. I ordered the fridges and they were supposed to be at the store next week. They arrived early and they said they only hold them for 7 days before shipping them back.

I hope they wait. I work on a boat and I won't get home until 24th and I have a deadline pickup of the 21st. I've tried calling and can't get anyone on the phone.

If they send them back, I'll just pick up the 2, 4.4 fridges.

Last edited:
The Frigidaire came early. It's exactly the same as the Tramontina :)

I ended up ordering the wifi Inkbird ITC-308 and the Fermwrap FE650-40.

EDIT: adding this link for two reasons. 1) I keep misplacing it. 2) in case anyone else is looking for it! Tramontina Fermentation Chamber Builds

Were you able to order the Fermwrap anywhere that didn't take two weeks to get?

I have 2 carboy's fermenting a NEIPA. It's too cold outside to keep them in the fermenters unless I get heaters. I'm gonna stop by the store today to look for some.

I'm looking at my fridges and I think I can drill a hole in the side for a gas line. It looks like all the cooling is on a plate:

v7GA0OQh.jpg

They are outside, and the internal temp right now:

C0QGCuSh.jpg

dEe9L6zh.jpg

Double regulator I plan on using:

Z00t4aMh.jpg

Hanging out inside for now....

RRfeCTph.jpg

Were you able to order the Fermwrap anywhere that didn't take two weeks to get?

I have 2 carboy's fermenting a NEIPA. It's too cold outside to keep them in the fermenters unless I get heaters. I'm gonna stop by the store today to look for some.

I'm looking at my fridges and I think I can drill a hole in the side for a gas line. It looks like all the cooling is on a plate:

v7GA0OQh.jpg

They are outside, and the internal temp right now:

C0QGCuSh.jpg

dEe9L6zh.jpg

Double regulator I plan on using:

Z00t4aMh.jpg

Hanging out inside for now....

RRfeCTph.jpg

Amazon got the fermwrap to my door in a matter of days. I don't have a thermowell in the carboy to measure temp so I was reluctant to wrap the fermwrap around the carboy. I ended up just taping it to the left side of the fridge.

I followed the instructions in the link (Tramontina Fermentation Chamber Builds) to drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the fridge. I drilled a small pilot hole through the metal skin and poked around in there with a wooden skewer to make sure I wouldn't knick anything important, then went through it with the bigger bit. Then I sealed the hole in the back with some hot glue.

20200503_094151.jpg
20200503_094209.jpg
20200503_094229.jpg

Be careful drilling through the sides. The evaporator coils run close to the skin on the sides (turn on the cooling and feel the sides--they'll get warmer). I actually bought a bulkhead to run gas through the sides of my fridge, and I'm still trying to figure out where the safest spot to drill is...

View attachment 673644

Love this fridge, thank you for posting. For you or anyone else with this fridge, will it fit a FastFerment Conical on the four legged stand? What is the maximum interior height it will allow?

Love this fridge, thank you for posting. For you or anyone else with this fridge, will it fit a FastFerment Conical on the four legged stand? What is the maximum interior height it will allow?
I don't think so. Max inside height is around 27.5" from floor to ceiling. 26" from floor to the bottom of the thermostat enclosure on the right front.

Sounds like an SSBrewTech Bucket will work, or a Big Mouth Bubbler, but probably no conical of any 5+ gal size. Still, I like the clear window a lot.

Back