3rd AG attempt "Brew like a Homebrewer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
Moved all the new gear outside. Kids and wife cannot stand the smell of homebrew (don't understand this). I have done 2 other all grain batches. Maybe, 2 weeks ago. But i must tell you, all grain sure is more fun than extract. Not sure how taste will vary, but i know its more fun.

Extract is a great introduction tho. Not much equipment is needed, and if you dont like the hobby, not alot wasted at this point. Once i done my first two batches of all grain tho.. i knew i was in trouble. The smell was great and i had a ball. So, i bought an extra 6.5 gallon carboy, got some grains and made a Belgian Quad (after 90min boil, ended up at .090) Primary is a mess after 3 days.

I got the ingredient list from Brewing Classic Styles. My LHBS rocks. They had everything i needed for all 4 brews i have going on. The other primary is not in the picture, it is a Moose Drool attempt. i think it came out around .066 or so after a 90min boil. I am really curious tho, how these all- grains will compare to my extracts. Yes, i do still have a Dunkelweisen, and a Patersbier extracts bottled up, 4 or 5 months old. Cannot wait to compare. the dubbel and quad is what will... really.. test my patience.

Thanks for looking.

webbrew1800.jpg

webbrew2800.jpg

webbrew800.jpg

nah its slowed down, and besides.. it would have blown off by now. it was really going nuttz a few days ago. i cleaned the cap and insert a few times so air could still escape and not dry up and clog.. the kraus around the bung is from the top, rolling down. i cleaned the top just before the shot. i work from home and i am right beside these things almost 24 hrs a day. i agree next time, a tube for sure. less mess. its in the basement to.. so if something drastic did happen, i got a hose and 2 drains down here.

heh i thought i had enough headspace in that 6g carboy. or 6.5? i forget. either way i know what a big beer will do in just a few days time. i was used to extracts. they never had this much activity. and my dubbel was fine. no mess. quads=messy.

Back