32oz Carta Blanca Bottle Usage/Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishn-tin-sean

Reaction score
I bottled last night and included a few 32oz Carta Blanca pop off bottles for my bottling session.

cbbot.jpg

The cap went on but seemed different with my hand capper compared to other pop tops like sierra or new belguim bottles. It does appear the outside dimension of the bottle top is slightly smaller than other pop tops.

beer-bottle-neck-350.jpg

Bottle did not leak, hope they carb up.

Are there different size caps for domestic/import bottles?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Im curious to see the answers. I have some cool lookin El Salvedorian bottles from a restaurant that seemed like fun bottles to use as gifts or to drink big beers from with a buddy. they are 36oz and low and wide so I cant really tell if the caps are standard size or not.

I tried using a 12 oz carta blanca bottle in the past. I couldn't cap it. I would keep an eye on those if I were you, but hopefully it works out. If they aren't leaking, you are probably good to go.

I think it's the thin lower lip that's causing it rather than the cap size, if I had to guess. Did your capper just have trouble finding a grip? Because I have "problem bottles" like that and they do always take, if you put enough downward pressure on.

Looking at pic 1 the lip doesn't seem thin, but on pic 2 it looks like the bastard lips on Guinness and Stella 22s.

I've never had one of those fail once I got it crimped, if it reassures you, but it sure pisses me off when I'm bottling. Not as bad as the belgian style/martinelli bottles I've capped, which always threaten to break my capper... but they look good enough to be worth it, and that Carta Blanca bottle looks pretty good too, so I say go for it until it fails you!

Flat beer isn't drain fodder anyway, you can always repour and recap (you'll have an extra .5-1%ish ABV, but it's just 32oz).

I used to bottle in old Natty Boh 40s sometimes, and if you don't really twist the hell out of the cap or use teflon tape you'll get a failure now and then. Once I just squeezed some honey into a flat beer, totally eyeballed it, and twisted hard. Carbed perfectly... somehow. Uh, not that I recommend that.

Latest posts

Back