30qt pot and burner deal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
I just got back from Bass Pro Shops. They have a good setup for sale at $39.95. I used a gift certificate I had and ended up walking out with this beginner all-grain size pot for just $17! The pot alone, without burner, thermometer, and turkey holder thing was $50 (yes, sold at the same store right next to the bundled deal).

So, if you are looking for what I perceive as a good deal head down to your local store or possibly order online. All-grain experiment here I come! Now I just need to read through 30 or so "how to make a MLT" threads...

I've been hesitant to spring for a 30qt pot because that's only 7.5 gallons. I've seen boil off rates around 1.5-2 gallons per hour so that doesn't leave much room to avoid a boilover with a 5.5 gallon batch.

Eh, I was planning on 5 gallons only really. Aside from that, I'm not rich but I don't consider $17 a waste (I could sell the superfluous burner and thermometer for that much). Whatever the case, I believe it will fit my needs for doing full boils with partial mash at least. My boil off rates have been pretty low, although I haven't calculated it. I just keep a rolling boil that isn't splashing around.

I'm just stoked to at least try a full boil of something so I can try to calculate my efficiency.

I use a 30qt turkey fryer set up. I wish my pot was bigger. Like NorCalAngler said, you really have to watch out for boil overs. Probably going to need to have 6 - 6½ gallons of water in there to account for evaporation loss. Once you're several minutes into the boil, it's not that bad. It's the hot break that will get you if you're not paying attention.

Not trying to knock your purchase or anything. I'm always an advocate of doing full wort boils, even with extract brewing. Just saying that you're going to need to pay close attention to the pot while bringing it up to a boil.

So should I get this or hold off for a better deal? won't need the burner to spring but would like the pot for doing brew in a bag. after shipping it's only $10 cheaper than the bayou classic 3066A on amazon. and I just realized that the closest bass pro shop is an hours drive away

I guess the answer is: Depends. I'm satisfied currently, but the threat of boilover is a little high I suppose.

i could always get a bigger pot. this one looks like it could easily fit a bigger pot. but the price difference after shipping is really insignificant. and i really don't feel like driving an hour there and back to save $10. think i will wait for after thanksgiving sale

Another thing to watch out for on newer burners is the "Safety Timer". Never seen one in use, but from what I hear is that they will kill the gas flow to your burner every so often. This can be a problem if you have to step away for a few minutes to take the Browns to the super-bowl or something.

I use a 7.5 gallon pot for my full boils. They are super full, but if you are diligent with the gas control knob and a stir spoon, you'll be fine. Once the hot break is done, its smooth sailing from there. I've had a 50 dollar bass pro gift card burning a hole in my pocket since summer, but my bass pro has been closed down for remodel after the floods in May. They just recently opened back up. May be worth a trip over there. I could always use a larger HLT....

Another thing to watch out for on newer burners is the "Safety Timer". Never seen one in use, but from what I hear is that they will kill the gas flow to your burner every so often. This can be a problem if you have to step away for a few minutes to take the Browns to the super-bowl or something.

I see what you did there lmao

is there an easy way to disable the safety timer? i just ordered one and don't really want to have to push a button every 5 minutes or so

The one my friend has shuts off every 20 minutes ( IIRC ). Kind of a pain, but easy enough to deal with.

I bought one online just now. Planning on adding a weldless ball valve assembly to it and figuring out a way to eliminate the timer.

I bought one online just now. Planning on adding a weldless ball valve assembly to it and figuring out a way to eliminate the timer.

I haven't gotten into mine yet, but I think the timer will be easy to knock out. Please let me know how you do get yours disabled in case I have trouble with mine!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back