30a gfci inline cord? Help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are having your electrician construct a spa panel that can plug into your dryer outlet, then you are not changing your house wiring, so you would not need a permit. Make sure that he follows the wiring practice in the photo P-J posted. The 3 wire in, 4 wire out configuration is not really common, and some electricians may not wire it that way without "special" instructions.

Thanks! So the spa panel is effectively an inline GFCI. *head spins*

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! So the spa panel is effectively an inline GFCI. *head spins*

Actually it's more than that, it's also an inline breaker. And with P-J's wiring diagram it converts 3 wire to 4 wire all at the same time. It's a marvel!

Plan out where you're going to hang your spa panel (a hook on a wall will work fine) and your EBC controller and order the right cord lengths for each.

I really wish there was a viable in line gfci option, but the old xerox cords seem to have dried up. The spa panel is, as you say, an inline gfci. A big, heavy, inline gfci.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

purchase a spa panel. bought mine from HD with a GFI for $50. rated to 50a too so i can upgrade with it

What is the circuit you will use rated at? I have a 50a spa panel on a 50a circuit. I had to add a 30a din rail breaker so I wouldn't have to use wire larger than 10 gage in the rest of the build.

The extra breaker slots in the Midwest spa panel are NOT protected by the GFCI breaker (they are in parallel), as far as I know. FYI.

What are your suggestions for the wall receptacle? Twist lock? Standard four prong? I know that both will work, just curious if anyone had any feedback. I have no idea for what other use I could use the plug for other than brewing so...yea.

Back