3000 rpm stir plate too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonski

Reaction score
Motor is a 65670 kit with fan blades $15 at the local hvac shop. Too much rpm?

Started with a scrap computers power supply and fan. Plan was to mod the supply to run the fan above it in a old compressor e box housing. Little sheet metal work and wire it up and run it.
Used the soldering iron to remove what I didn't need and nothing worked. Tossed it in the trash.
Went with a motor at the refrigeration shop. Two holes in the bottom to bolt up, wire it in and cut up the fan blade to fit the magnets close the the bottom. The motor and shaft to fit with 1/4". Thinking 3000rpm is a bit much but we will see.
I need to attach some rubber feet.
20180516_185209.jpeg
20180517_200125.jpeg
20180517_201610.jpeg
20180517_200926.jpeg
20180517_202346.jpeg

you could probably add a speed control for that fan.. something like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F9DAL2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

also, the PSU case is likely magnetic.. will that cause any issues with your magnets not being strong enough to couple with and spin the stirbar?

I like the idea of the cheap universal motor for this..

Last edited by a moderator:
you could probably add a speed control for that fan.. something like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F9DAL2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

also, the PSU case is likely magnetic.. will that cause any issues with your magnets not being strong enough to couple with and spin the stirbar?

I like the idea of the cheap universal motor for this..
Way too much rpm. After we figured out that one magnet need to be flipped and a hole cut in the metal case the 3000 rpm was way too much. Going to order the speed control and make a rubber top to cover the hole / make nonstick. Vaca for a week, I'll be back to post f/u later thanks helterskelter cheap motor forsure. Used as replacement evap fan motors for small reachin's

Last edited by a moderator:
Back