• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Virginia 30-gallon stainless kettle w/ tri-clamp, sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
SOLD - THANKS!

Hello all,

I'm selling one of my 30 gallon kettles. This was my boil kettle and I've upgraded the size so I have more head space and net volume. It is made of 304 stainless (1.2mm wall thickness), polished and electrochemically passivated. Comes with a pickup tube, and tangential inlet for whirlpool. Also has a custom tri-clamp sight glass that has been calibrated (the tubing is polycarb plastic and shows a little heat haze at the bottom, but it's still completely functional). Also has a 1" TC inlet about 8" from the floor for a temp gauge, and a 1" back-to-back TC for any recirc or CIP needs. Comes with a lid that hangs on the kettle rim. Great condition and has been treated well. You will need a few TC valves and fittings to put this into service, that are not included. Original cost was $600, asking $450 and open to all serious offers. I have a nice box and plenty of bubble wrap for shipping!

kettleoutside.jpg

kettleinside.jpg

PM with any questions. Thanks.

Not to bust your nads but the rules clearly states that you must post a price or face a claiming rule and according to subsection 13:239 I will claim your pot at a price of $122 USD shipped.
I'm quite sure I will be happy with it, PM incoming with shipping information.

Thank you, ChefRex

Not to bust your nads but the rules clearly states that you must post a price or face a claiming rule and according to subsection 13:239 I will claim your pot at a price of $122 USD shipped.
I'm quite sure I will be happy with it, PM incoming with shipping information.

Thank you, ChefRex

Sorry, description updated. Can't say I understand that rule but whatever I'll play.

Very tempting. You did propane boils? I don't see any ports for electric coils. What's the bottom look like?

Yep, I direct-fire all my kettles. You mean the very bottom of the kettle where it sits on the stand?

How well does that tangential inlet work? Would love to see a pic of a trub pile from whirlpooling with that. I've never been able to get a decent whirlpool. Did Derrin have that welded on for you? Was looking at the stout kettles but don't like the design.
I'm looking to switch to a 10 gallon electric setup with 20 gallon vessels in 2015. Now I'm on propane, outdoors, with 15 gallon kettles doing 10 gallons. No interest in more than ten gallons, and even that's probably much more than I need. For a boil kettle though, might be nice to have a larger kettle just in case I wanted to make a 1/2bbl batch. Can't afford any boilovers indoors.

TD

Oh yeah, I meant the bottom of the kettle.

Give me a bit and I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the trub cone and I'll grab a picture of the bottom of the kettle. The tangential works great! You just have to make sure you don't pull the wort too fast. Some hop residuals are more resilient than others.

Derrin did the work himself! The kettle comes manufactured with the 1.5" bottom TC ferrule, the rest of the ferrules were welded by him. Then he polishes, and passivates the welds. Super nice work.

It definitely is nice to have that extra head space in the kettle to reduce the chance of a boilover. As I mentioned above, that is one of two reasons I went to a 47 gallon for my boil kettle. Of course, now I need a step ladder to see inside!

I'll be back in touch shortly...

How well does that tangential inlet work? Would love to see a pic of a trub pile from whirlpooling with that. I've never been able to get a decent whirlpool. Did Derrin have that welded on for you? Was looking at the stout kettles but don't like the design.
I'm looking to switch to a 10 gallon electric setup with 20 gallon vessels in 2015. Now I'm on propane, outdoors, with 15 gallon kettles doing 10 gallons. No interest in more than ten gallons, and even that's probably much more than I need. For a boil kettle though, might be nice to have a larger kettle just in case I wanted to make a 1/2bbl batch. Can't afford any boilovers indoors.

TD

Oh yeah, I meant the bottom of the kettle.

Here's the bottom of the kettle:

kettlebottom.jpg

And here's a trub cone (sorry the picture is not clearer):

20130820_162514_D40_00312.JPG

You'll pull a little trub int the beginning, but if you notice right around the pickup tube there's nice bright wort.

That's a damn fine cone to me! Is the bottom not flat? Looks slightly inset. What do you use the upper TC fitting for on the side of the kettle? Where do you collect wort, just a hose hanging into the kettle?

That sure is fine. I'm not sure what I'm gong to do for my electric kettles just yet. I don't think that I am going to buy yours just because I would like to stay with 20 gallon kettles, or, scale down to 7.5 gallons and stick my current kettles and install boilcoils.

I do love the tangential inlet though. What kinda pump are you using to get that done?

It's not perfectly flat - there's a slight inset in the middle - but it's not domed. I'm sure there's a reason for that but I don't know it!

No, I collect wort out of the bottom dump that is connected to the pickup tube inside the kettle. The upper TC is primarily for CIP - I can connect my sprayer here and run caustic/acid.

I use March 809's (high flow version from More Beer), fitted with the center inlet stainless heads from Chugger. I also use 3/4" ID tubing across the entire brewstand so there is no restriction of flow. I have a couple diaphragm valves that let me control flow at the outlet of the pump.

Perhaps I missed it but what is the height, width of this? Wondering if I can make it work as a boil kettle for my brewmagic. If I bought this I will likely pick up in person.

Perhaps I missed it but what is the height, width of this? Wondering if I can make it work as a boil kettle for my brewmagic. If I bought this I will likely pick up in person.

Hi - the kettle is 24" tall, and 20" in diameter. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Seeing as you're from Falls Church, I could possibly meet you a good part of the way if you so decide to buy the kettle.

I can support the quality of these pots. Although I don't have some of the custom add-on's that the poster has, I own this same 30 gallon (actually closer to 34 gallons if you do the calculations on size). The inset on the bottom, I believe, is just to make it a little more structurally sound, similarly to putting a bead in a steel panel. Using the march pumps, it's best to give the wort a couple of good stirs with a spoon to get an effective whirlpool, especially with anything approaching 20-25 gallons.

I can support the quality of these pots. Although I don't have some of the custom add-on's that the poster has, I own this same 30 gallon (actually closer to 34 gallons if you do the calculations on size). The inset on the bottom, I believe, is just to make it a little more structurally sound, similarly to putting a bead in a steel panel. Using the march pumps, it's best to give the wort a couple of good stirs with a spoon to get an effective whirlpool, especially with anything approaching 20-25 gallons.

I appreciate that! My new 47 gallon kettle is also one from Brewer's Hardware. Everything they make is really quality stuff.

I will said I don't have any trouble getting that volume of liquid to whirlpool - but I also run 3/4"-1" rigid and semi-rigid tubing through my entire system so I think that has a lot to do with it. I'm able to achieve pretty amazing flow rates - at the expense of slightly reduced pressure.

Again, thanks!

Bump, price reduced to $450/obo! I do have a false bottom for this kettle as well, for an additional few bucks.

Back