30 gallon "sampler pack". :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
I've been asked to bring a variety of homebrew to a wedding that is taking place over Thanksgiving. As the plans start to come together, it's sounding like I'm going to be bringing along 6 kegs. I only have two at the moment, but this seems like a good way to get SWMBO to agree to the purchase of 4 more (it's her sister getting married), so who am I to argue? :mug:

The bride and groom appreciate good microbrews and quality beer, while the vast majority of the crowd consider Miller Lite the "good stuff" that they only get on special occasions....

So I'm trying to come up with a well-rounded variety of beers to make up these 6 batches. Obviously the clock is ticking, so anything requiring extended aging is out.

Could use some suggestions to make this a well-rounded selection, as well as the best order to brew them in so that the ones that could benefit from a week or two of extra aging can get it. I just now sat down to put together a plan and here's my initial, top-of-my-head idea...

1. Brewer's Best Holiday Ale (already in fermenter)
2. Cream Stout (already in fermenter)
3. Cream Ale
4. American Pale Ale
5. Hefeweizen
6. Apple Ale (specific request from the bride)

Does that sound like a decent selection? Any thoughts on beers that might make the list more well rounded? I'm told there will also be BMC on hand for those the hardcore Natty drinkers, so I'm not terribly concerned about catering to their needs to any extensive degree...

I should have one fermenter, and maybe both, freed up this weekend so it's time to decide on at least the next one in line and get that going.

Oops. Meant to mention that and managed to leave it out.

It's going to be over Thanksgiving. So I've got almost 2 months. Like I said, the clock's ticking. So I'm my choices are going to be limited to stuff that can get drinkable fairly quick. Obviously, I'll be saving the Hefe for the last brew.

Also, I have two fermenters, both currently in use, but should be ready to rack to a keg this weekend. Considering buying a couple plastic buckets to add a little fermentation capacity....

The AHS Apocalypso is easy to brew and doesn't take long at all and would be a good replacement for a bitter light colored beer.

Maybe a Porter, bock, or Dunkel. Something else in the darker range from what I see is my opinion. However I'm a dark beer drinker.

i had a friend who recently did this for his brother's wedding... one thing i can tell you is that you won't have any homebrew for yourself for the next few months ;).

i would definitely get those buckets, it'll happen so fast, you'll run out of time if you try to use two to finish. what exactly is the apple ale? like an apfelwein?

i think cream ale and APA are great choices. is the hefeweizen going to be a traditional german one or an americanized version?

What is an apple ale??

Oh, and I recently brewed NB Lefse Blond kit for a party. It was gone in 2.5 hours and was only around $26 to make. Win-win.

If they are bmc drinkers, make 10 gal of biermunchers cream of 3 crops, also maybe his octoberfast ale since it's a good season for it. Also for the apple ale look for the graff thread/recipe. It will be much more apple tasting and quicker than the apfelwine.

No IPA? I guess I'm not showing up for that wedding.

The Cream of 3 crops is very good and I really don't like that style at all.

No IPA? I guess I'm not showing up for that wedding.

Me neither, although I think my invitation got lost in the mail anyway...

OT: That looks like a pretty good mix to me, I think most people will be happy with something.

Plus, from my experience, once whoever is pouring tells them that it's homebrew people will jump all over it. I recently brewed a Black IPA for a friend's wedding and he also got a keg of Stone Smoked Porter for a more approachable option. To my surprise the 20ish beer drinkers there drained the IPA in about 2 hours and I ended up taking home half a keg of porter :)

Latest posts

Back