3 tier on wheels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
So last week I put in my 2 weeks without a new job yet(don't ask). I have been interviewing a lot and needed a project to do while I am on "vacation". I have a 1200 sf workshop (unfortunately unheated) out back. My wife has been demanding that I move the brewery out there. I was bored and went to the Home Depot (it was lovely) and started walking the garden section. I found some wheel barrow tires on clearance for $4 a tire (normally $25 each) So I picked them up and started making a 3 tier on wheels. I have a deck out back that is off the ground about 3' and that will help with the height. I am also 6'5" so that doesn't hurt either. Its not complete yet, I have to add some heat protection to some of the areas but you will get the picture. And yes there are brakes for the wheels.

100_5010.jpg

This is what the axle will attach to.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/4/medium/100_5020.jpg
Its taking shape.
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/4/medium/100_5027.jpg

100_5033.jpg

100_5032.jpg

100_5041.jpg

That last one is the brewpot. Under the brewpot is Hardibacker. The dudes at home depot said that it is great for deflecting heat. Any friendly advice on the system or job offers for bank VP jobs in Indianapolis are welcome.

Dont know of any VP jobs in Indy, but I know a guy with a three tier on wheels in his garage, who is converting it to a HERMS... I know that guy.

The Pol said:
Dont know of any VP jobs in Indy, but I know a guy with a three tier on wheels in his garage, who is converting it to a HERMS... I know that guy.

That you do...that you do. Interview at 10am today...go team!

If you are going to have a HLT on top there you may want to pipe water to it.
Also, it looks like all 4 wheels are set and do not turn. Without any swivels, how you going to turn that beast?

Here is mine.
105357486-MVC-690F.JPG

I add water lines to it and that was the best thing I have done. No more ladders to fill the HLT. :ban:

310927687-MVC-697F.JPG

Nice set up! You need a trashy sign on yours like mine. I can't do the hose thing because my water sucks. I have to buy mine at a water store.

beergears said:
L' S, is that bottom beam bending under load...??
Haha, it's funny, you're the only one that's ever noticed that.

The two bottom beams ARE bent, but they were before I used them on the stand. Trust me, those 2x2s wouldn't bend from any homebrewer application. I made the stand out of some scrap steel I got for free. It came from some frames that were used to move some really heavy equipment, which is why the ones on the bottom are slightly bowed. It's really not that bad - that particular picture makes it stand out though.

Yeah dude, you're wheels need some help.

lastride.jpg

The lowes by me has a big metal scrap pile out back where they put smashed up shelving and carts presumably going to the scrap yard. I just brought a socket over and swiped the wheels. I doubt they'll be missed... but then again, maybe I'm going to hell.

FSR402 said:
If you are going to have a HLT on top there you may want to pipe water to it.
Also, it looks like all 4 wheels are set and do not turn. Without any swivels, how you going to turn that beast?

THe front have a little give in them. I will only be going in straight lines from shed to my deck for brewing.

If any of you were wondering, my interview at 10 went well. I may even get it. Won't know til next friday.

Verm

beergears said:
L' S, is that bottom beam bending under load...??

Do you ever worry about your wheel s breaking on a crack or a arrant hose in the driveway?

That being said at least yours turn. :mug:

Bobby_M said:
The lowes by me has a big metal scrap pile out back where they put smashed up shelving and carts presumably going to the scrap yard. I just brought a socket over and swiped the wheels. I doubt they'll be missed... but then again, maybe I'm going to hell.
You're only going to hell if you paid a deposit on those wheels without any intention of returning them later to the rightful owner, or possibly if you went to the scrap yard to buy wheels that might be stolen. There's nothing wrong with right-out swiping them, though. :D

VermVerm said:
Do you ever worry about your wheel s breaking on a crack or a arrant hose in the driveway?

That being said at least yours turn. :mug:

Sorry, I'm a little slow today. I didn't understand if your question was a joke or not. Why would I worry about the wheels breaking on a crack in the concrete? To be honest, when I move it around, nothing's on it, so the wheels really aren't under any load.

You can definitely still pipe water to it. You can buy a cylindrical cartridge filter for about $30 and put it inline. Most of us do it in one way or another. Way cheaper than buying water :)

ScubaSteve said:
You can definitely still pipe water to it. You can buy a cylindrical cartridge filter for about $30 and put it inline. Most of us do it in one way or another. Way cheaper than buying water :)

is your water well water with iron in it?

Lil' Sparky said:
Sorry, I'm a little slow today. I didn't understand if your question was a joke or not. Why would I worry about the wheels breaking on a crack in the concrete? To be honest, when I move it around, nothing's on it, so the wheels really aren't under any load.

Its not that funny if it doesn't make sense. I was making fun of how your small wheels might be fragile also. Making fun of the little guy to make myself feel better if guess.

You ever see "The Chris Farley Show"
Ga, that was so stupid...I'm an idiot..:)

VermVerm said:
Its not that funny if it doesn't make sense. I was making fun of how your small wheels might be fragile also. Making fun of the little guy to make myself feel better if guess.

You ever see "The Chris Farley Show"
Ga, that was so stupid...I'm an idiot..:)
No worries, I've been a little under the weather today. My wife said I've talked like I've been sniffing fumes or something. I think it's time for me and my "little wheels" to go to bed...

I had some small 3 inch wheel on it but I found that it did not roll on the stone drive or the grass. That's when I went to the 10 inch air filled off-road tires. It rolls great now.:rockin:

Back