3 late hop additions vs 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
been doing late hop additions in my IPA's. usually at 15, 10, 5. do you think there would be much difference if i adjusted IBU and just did one late addition at like 10m? hope this makes sense, kind of hard to word it

There's no problem just doing one addition.

I play with this stuff all the time. I refuse to believe that 15,10,5 is somehow the perfect combination no matter what you are going for. That's what everyone seems to use in most of their recipes. My recent ones have had stuff like, 12mins, 7mins, 2mins - or 8 mins, and 3 mins. I've done them with only 10mins also - or only an 8min addition or whatever.

been doing late hop additions in my IPA's. usually at 15, 10, 5. do you think there would be much difference if i adjusted IBU and just did one late addition at like 10m? hope this makes sense, kind of hard to word it

Personally, I'd be surprised (and impressed) if you could tell the difference between the two. Unfortunately, there's no good way that I can think of to test that theory.

Instead of doing one at 10 minutes, try doing one massive addition at flameout and letting it steep for 45 minutes. I've been making some insanely good IPA's by doing this. Get the majority of your bittering from the 60 minute addition, then go nuts at flameout, trust me.

I haven't tried the massive flame out addition yet but i've been hearing great things. Definitely trying it with my next ipa.

Instead of doing one at 10 minutes, try doing one massive addition at flameout and letting it steep for 45 minutes. I've been making some insanely good IPA's by doing this. Get the majority of your bittering from the 60 minute addition, then go nuts at flameout, trust me.

Do you put the cover on the pot at flameout? If so, do you cover it fully or leave a little crack?

Thanks!

Do you put the cover on the pot at flameout? If so, do you cover it fully or leave a little crack?

Thanks!

No - don't cover it at flameout. Also, add the hops when the wort has cooled a little bit (when it stops steaming so much), and you'll get less aroma loss. I add post-boil hops when the temp gets into the 170's. It will give a nice fresh flavor and pretty decent aroma, too.

I've switched to hopstands as well. I get the bulk of my IBUs with Warrior at 60 and then add my flavor/aroma hops after chilling to 160-180*. Hopstand + dryhop is pretty effective. I have loosely covered the pot, with no ill effects.

Back