3 Gallon or 5 Gallon Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcberry

Reaction score
My dad and I typically brew together and now I am considering getting into kegging. Problem is we live separately and I don't have room or money for kegging at my house.

So for a typical batch we will end up bottling 2 gallons and then keg the remaining 3 gallons.

I am debating between using a standard 5 gallon keg and 3 gallon keg. I am leaning towards the 5 gallon because:
1)cheaper
2)can hold a full 5 gallon batch if need be
3)perhaps 3 gallons will carb quicker in a 5 gallon keg? <--just speculation

Is there any downside to kegging only 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg? Obviously more CO2 will be used and I'd have to make sure to purge all the O2 prior to filling.

Is there anything else I should be considering here?

Thanks

The 5 gallon, the Co2 cost is minimal. And 3 gallon kegs are much more pricey.

The 5 gallon, the Co2 cost is minimal. And 3 gallon kegs are much more pricey.

I agree. You will proabaly use roughly the same cooling space unless you stak 3 gallon kegs on top of one another (unlikely). 5 gallon kegs are much cheaper, easier to find and will work better if/when you decide to make 10 gallon batches. I have 2 3 gallon kegs but they are only more convenient for traveling and nothing more.

Agreed to all the above. If you have one 3 gallon, you'll be kicking yourself when you are kegging and are just too lazy or dont have enough time to bottle the rest. Plus cheaper and easier to find.

Thanks for the tip on AIH for kegs. I always make the trip there for ingredients and equipment - great store.

Would something like this be a good setup: http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_69.html

The other setup I was looking at was:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=325

They seem comparable, but I'd rather get one locally.

Generally speaking - used kegs are fine to use and leak free provided I get new O-rings?

McB,

The kit from AIH looks great. All the kegs I have are used and none of them leak, I change the o-rings when I buy them. I don't want any off flavors from previous soda service.

If you start building an inventory of them just so a search and you can buy the o-ring in bulk from McMaster Carr. I would recommend if your gonna get serious about HB and kegging buy up what ever you can. I cover 5 state with my job and they have the best prices by far.

You can bottle from your 5 gallon with a beer gun. It's so easy, I do it any time I want to bring beer over to someone's house.

Three gallon kegs can be useful, but they are hard to find used so you usually have to buy them new. You can buy 2 or 3 refurbished five gallon kegs for the same price as one new three gallon keg.

I bought two of the three gallon kegs because they fit on the hump in my kegerator. I use them for carbonated water and for soda. But in general, the five gallon kegs are the way to go. Extra headspace doesn't hurt anything in a partially filled keg. Just purge the air and replace with CO2.

I love my 3 gallon kegs, but I got them cheap on craigslist. There's no way I would recomend paying $60-100 for one. You're better off buying multiple 5 gallon kegs.

$100 is nothing.

Do you know that gasoline today is as cheap as it was before the first Arab oil embargo? Yep, that's right. I passed a gas station on Friday that was selling gasoline for $2.699 FRN per gallon. Silver is $29.19 per troy ounce (closing spot price at end of the trading day on 12/17/2010). A 90% silver quarter (1964 and earlier, 6.25 grams of silver) is worth $5.279. A 95% copper penny (1982 and earlier) is worth .027 cents in copper and zinc. So for one 90% silver quarter plus 5 95% copper pennies (30 cents in real money), you could buy two gallons of gas ($5.398 in FRNs). So gas is really only 15 cents a gallon.

$100 is nothing.

^^^ Umm... what exactly are you talking about?

Inflation. The poster before me said he wouldn't recommend spending $60 to $100 for a 3 gallon keg. But if 3 gallon keg fits your space better, it's really not such a huge amount of money. All I'm saying is that $100 FRN is not a lot of money anymore.

I bought two brand new 3 gallon kegs from CHI company for $89 FRN each just a few months ago. They fit on the hump in my keezer very nicely where a 5 gallon keg won't fit there. My cost including shipping was about $205. That's seven troy ounces of silver. That's the value of the silver content of 39 pre-1965 quarters with a face value of $9.75. Less than one roll of quarters bought me two brand new 3 gallon kegs. That's what I mean when I say $100 is nothing.

Latest posts

Back