3 days nothing happening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdemt84

Reaction score
Now I did research on here to see if I could find my answer before posting. I looked extensivly on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/ and to no avail came across an answer I believe fits. Maybe I missed it in its 25+ pages.
I did my first batch by myself on friday a fat tire amber ale clone, and had it in my fermenting bucket just before noon. Its been just over 3 days and I have no bubbles in the airlock. Its stored in a corner of my bedroom to keep it at a constant 72 deg. I looked for leaks but can find now. There is close to no pressure on the lid when I press in the middle of it, again no air leaks out the side of the bucket that I can hear or feel.
I used wyeast 1272 American Ale II, Packet swelled up to the point of bursting before I pitched into the wort. Temp was 72 degs on the Wort when pitched. I believe I aerated the wort pretty well before pitching(maybe not). When reading on the different posts they all talk about fermenting taking about 24-72 hours to show signs but no one when over 72 hrs goes by. I live in Germany so getting new yeast will take some time (7-10 days). I dont want the wort to go bad? Should I wait a few more days? Order more yeast? Can I use regular yeast from a grocery(stupid I know but could it work to save the beer)?
I dont have means of taking gravity so I can't tell OG or anything. Thanks If there is another post similar my bad for not finding it.

Happy Brewing

If there are no leaks you should see bubbles by now, but some people have said it has taken longer. Pop off the lid... if its foamy and bubbly, its fermenting. You cannot use grocery store/bread yeast.

Good luck!

Now I did research on here to see if I could find my answer before posting. I looked extensivly on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/ and to no avail came across an answer I believe fits. Maybe I missed it in its 25+ pages.
I did my first batch by myself on friday a fat tire amber ale clone, and had it in my fermenting bucket just before noon. Its been just over 3 days and I have no bubbles in the airlock. Its stored in a corner of my bedroom to keep it at a constant 72 deg. I looked for leaks but can find now. There is close to no pressure on the lid when I press in the middle of it, again no air leaks out the side of the bucket that I can hear or feel.
I used wyeast 1272 American Ale II, Packet swelled up to the point of bursting before I pitched into the wort. Temp was 72 degs on the Wort when pitched. I believe I aerated the wort pretty well before pitching(maybe not). When reading on the different posts they all talk about fermenting taking about 24-72 hours to show signs but no one when over 72 hrs goes by. I live in Germany so getting new yeast will take some time (7-10 days). I dont want the wort to go bad? Should I wait a few more days? Order more yeast? Can I use regular yeast from a grocery(stupid I know but could it work to save the beer)?
I dont have means of taking gravity so I can't tell OG or anything. Thanks If there is another post similar my bad for not finding it.

Happy Brewing

If it were me, I would just sit back and relax, you have viable yeast and fermentable wort, I have every confidence it will be going along.

But considering you read 25+ pages of stuff, then here are some suggestions.

Is there any sign of a krausen / yeast floaties on the surface of the beer? If you open the lid (I assume it is an opaque lid) on the bucket, and take a whiff near the rim, does your nose burn? Anything like this means you are probably making beer.

Another idea is to take a sample as if you were about to make a gravity measurement. If you can find a tall thin tube and hold it at a slight angle, there is a good chance you will see bubbles forming and movement from the yeasties.

Gravity will be the definitive, but if you see any of the above, then that is a pretty good indication.

Hope that helps.
Matt

:mug:

Oh and don't use bakers yeast from the supermarket. That is prison / remote island type of situation.

Just took a peek, saw floaties, and bubbles coming up from the wort. So it seems Im in good shape, Just have a slow fermenter? Thanks for the help

Happy Brewing

No bubbles just means you have a leak big enough to keep up with the amount of CO2 coming from the wort. I have a bucket and/or lid that doe this. It hurts nothing except your curiosity.

Relax, let it sit for 3 weeks, then check gravity and bottle/keg.

Oh, and 72 is a bit warm IMO. Most ale yeast work best at low to mid 60s ambient temperature.

I'll try lowering the temp a little, I brought it back down to 68 as I was rereading the recipe from Fat tire, thats what it called for in the recipe. I'll give that a day and see if anything changes. If not I'll lower it back down a little more.

Happy Brewing

fdemt84 said:
I'll try lowering the temp a little, I brought it back down to 68 as I was rereading the recipe from Fat tire, thats what it called for in the recipe. I'll give that a day and see if anything changes. If not I'll lower it back down a little more.

Happy Brewing

Lowering the temp won't make it begin fermenting more aggressively, it will only make the beer taste better. Generally, the higher the temperature, the more aggressive fermentation will be.

also get a hydrometer asap as that is the ONLY tool to really tell if your yeast are done fermenting.

-=Jason=-

I have a list going on things I need to still pick up. I'll def add it. Thanks guys

Happy Brewing

I'm in the same situation with a new bucket. I have a bad seal apparantly allowing the CO2 to escape rather than through the airlock. My closet smells....well, like a brewery and my temp was 5 degrees higher than the ambient temp but no airlock activity had me concerned so I took the lid off this morning and saw Krausen. Not seeing the airlock bumping does suck though.

Looks like im going to have to get the carboy's now... found a good deal 6 gal. plastic for 29.99 (atleast i think its a good deal, shipping 5.20 to ship to APO)

So I still had no bubbles coming out of the airlock, I did another peek on the bucket, and what little krausen was there is not longer there at all. There is still brown floaties in the bucket? Where do I go from Here?

There is a chance that you missed the bubbles while you were sleeping or not looking at it. Let it sit there while you wait for your hydrometer to arrive. You did order one right? :p

Its in the mix, have to wait until payday... But I thought since I dont have an OG, that a FG wont do me much good??

Its in the mix, have to wait until payday... But I thought since I dont have an OG, that a FG wont do me much good??

You can still take readings to see if it's at or close to the FG, or if it's still fermenting.

When you take the hydrometer reading, if it says something like 1.050, you didn't have any fermentation. If your reading is closer to 1.010 for more than 2 days, fermentation is complete.

These numbers are for an average gravity ale which I'm assuming you brewed.

I brewed a clone of Fat Tire amber ale. I'll see what I can do about getting a hydrometer quicker. Thanks guys for the help. Happy brewing

So everything seems to be ok now. Just was more patient, and let it sit for 8 days. I transfered it to a secondary fermentor to let it sit a little longer and clear up a little more. Im going to attempt to post a pick. Thanks guys for the help..

Happy Brewing

2723-first-home-brew-secondary-fermentor.jpg

Latest posts

Back