3/8" or 1/2" for IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosbrewing

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build an IC, and I bought 50' of 3/8" tubing yesterday at HD for $33. Then today I'm at Lowes (too many home improvement projects for my own good), and I see 50' of 1/2" for $38. I picked it up with the intent of returning the 3/8" tomorrow.

Then I started reading. Looks like some people prefer the 1/2" for more surface area in contact with the wort. Then I found some others who say that 3/8" is better because the tubing itself is thinner, and therefore the thermal exchange is better.

Is bigger always better?

In this case bigger is better IMO. The problem with the 3/8" tubing is that it is only 1/4" ID (inside diameter). Tubing that small presents a lot of resistance to the flow and slows the flow rate dramatically. The thermal exchange probably is better on the smaller diameter tubing, but that's an advantage lost to the low flow rate. Using 1/2" tubing will work much better as it will give you a cross sectional area more than twice as big as the 3/8" tubing, a significant difference for sure. I've used both and much prefer the larger tubing.

I'm getting ready to build an IC, and I bought 50' of 3/8" tubing yesterday at HD for $33. Then today I'm at Lowes (too many home improvement projects for my own good), and I see 50' of 1/2" for $38. I picked it up with the intent of returning the 3/8" tomorrow.

Then I started reading. Looks like some people prefer the 1/2" for more surface area in contact with the wort. Then I found some others who say that 3/8" is better because the tubing itself is thinner, and therefore the thermal exchange is better.

Is bigger always better?

Man that's a sweet price on the 1/2", my lowes has it for about $75.

From what I have seen of chill times with IC's, aside from the theory, I don't think there is any difference in cooling time between 1/2" or 3/8". Especially at 50ft.

However, I would normally say for that reason just buy 3/8" because it is cheaper, but since they are both the same price I would say it doesn't matter.

Although I can think of one difference. 1/2" is a lot more rigid than 3/8", meaning it wont bounce as much (think slinky). Also, when coiling 1/2" is less likely to bend too much. So for those reason's, and since they are the same price, I would say 1/2" for your IC build.

Latest posts

Back