2yr old mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_James

Reaction score
About to bottle a mead that has been sitting in my living room closet for a little over 2yrs now. I had only racked it once at about 3 months, quite a bit of sediment in the bottom. I know, "bad cellar maitenance", I should have racked it at least one if not two more times during this time. :D If it's really bad I will feed it to the neighbors.

Give it a taste before you bottle it...

I have some mead that I started in late November that I've racked a couple of times (some more than others)... I will say that given enough time they get really clear. Racking at 3 months should still have left most of the stuff you wanted to get off of behind. The only real way to tell is to taste it though.

There's a real high chance you're about to sample something wonderful... Keep us posted.

Well folks, it turned out better than I had anticipated. The honey smell is still evident, not so much in the flavor. Almost like a dry white wine, but not to dry. I am by no means a wine aficionado, but I like it. :) The SWMBO really likes it, that's what really matters. Having a carboy in the corner of the living room tucked behind TV stand in a storage closet for a couple of years paid off, lol.

commonsenseman said:
So the best way to have patience is to actually forget about it eh?

Sounds awesome, enjoy!

Haha, that about sums it up. It was always in the back of my head, I always checked the airlock to make sure it had liquid. Out of sight out of mind though.

Back