2nd year hops not growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james_cornell

Reaction score
So I know it might be a little early to panic but screw it...

I grew four varieties of hops last year, Northern Brewer, Columbus, Centennial, and Cascade. All of which did really well except for norther brewer which was a tiny plant with very little yield. Fast forward to this year and the Norther Brewer are blowing up, the Centennial and Columbus are going strong, and the Cascade is virtually non existant. This time last year the rhizomes had only been in the ground a week and I had no growth too so I wouldn't be panicing a little if three plants weren't doing so well and the cascade, argueably my strongest last year, is nothing.

I had to peel back the mulch to add soaker hoses so I took the opportunity to get pictures of what looks like it might be growth on the cascade. I also added a picture of the centennial plant which has a couple feet of growth now. At this point Im just gonna leave it and see if it grows anyways but I could use some reassurance my plant isn't dead.

The only thing I can think of it my cascade was the first plant I cut down last year, a few weeks before the rest, those I waited almost until the frost.

Thanks,

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Definitely wait. One of my hallertauer seems to be behind everything else. Only a small shoot shows me it is growing.

You could pull some dirt away to see if the rhizome has buds. I had a Willamette that didn't come up one year. I guessed it was a mole or root rot. I didn't worry about it and have since replanted in that spot.

RDWHAHB
Cascade is my slowest to hit the trellis and first to the top.....
In fact, as of Friday, my centenials were 4 feet up the trellis and the cascades are about two inches out of the dirt

I'll also echo the late start from Cascade. Don't worry though, she will catch up.

I also find that the sprouts and initial bines are very thin and spindly. They do thicken up, in my experience.

I'm digging the trellis design! 😉 cheers!

Back