2nd step starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtmaus

Reaction score
I'm making a starter for a lager I plan on brewing soon and am getting mixed results on the size I should step to.

Here is where I'm at so far.
Est OG - 1.053
5.5g into the fermenter
wyeast 2308 with a date of 12-22-14
MrMalty says I need 408 billion cells

I made a 2000ml starter on a stir plate with 200g of DME
which should result in the 250 billion range. correct?

YeastCalc is stating my step should be 1.2l resulting in 411 billion cells

Brewers Friend is stating a step of 1.2l is saturated so increase it to 1.3l which results in 520 billion cells

Northern Brewers yeast pitching rate PDF is stating with a 2l first volume I would need a .25l step resulting in 471 billion cells

any thoughts on which way should I go?

Make another two liter starter to achieve a growth rate of at least 1.0. Some extra yeast is not a problem. You can also save the extra yeast. This will give you fresh yeast to make a starter from for your next brew.

Take the average of all of them. I use the current YeastCalc. The original did me well for a little over a year when I first found it. Offhand I don't know which option I use for the calculations.

Added: err on the high side. IMO it is better to pitch too much rather than too little yeast.

I always go for 30-50% more than the reccomended cell count. From what I have read, you wont start having negative effects until you start going over double the needed cell count.

Thanks for all the responses. So if I cold crash and decant my 2l starter and step up with another 1.5l or 2l I won't be over pitching?

Thanks for all the responses. So if I cold crash and decant my 2l starter and step up with another 1.5l or 2l I won't be over pitching?

Nope you'll be fine. Over pitching isn't a real concern until you're at least twice the recommendation. Short of pitching on a yeast cake, it doesn't sound like you are capable of over pitching with the starter equipment you have.

Latest posts

Back