2nd fermentation SCOBY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ball

Reaction score
What do you do with the SCOBY that forms during the 2nd fermentation?

Scoop it out? Drink it?

Does any one eat the full mature SCOBY? Like if you trim it down, eating the pieces? I remember people eating the water Keifer.

Does any one eat the full mature SCOBY? Like if you trim it down, eating the pieces? I remember people eating the water Keifer.
I've seen people dehydrate and eat it. I've also seen people add cinnamon and sugar to it and bake it for a bit before eating it.
I don't have the guts to try it...

If someone has recently asked, I will save it for them in a little jar. Otherwise I just throw them away when I bottle.

I view Kombucha brewing as a low cost / low energy way to save a couple bucks on a tasty drink, not a miracle cure to anything, so I have no interest in adding energy to the process.

I made a SCOBY jerky-like thing, once. It was alright.

I sliced it into strips then seasoned with spices, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, etc..... put it in the oven on lowest setting to dry out.

Back