2nd brew, Asking for recipe help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grateful Dan

Reaction score
For my 2nd brew I wanted to do a light golden ipa with a abv around 6.5 - 7. I went to my local brew shop and looked at the brewers best kits. I didn't see one that I really wanted so I bought ingredients that I thought would work for me. I'm hoping to get some advice on hop schedule and when to add extracts. I was thinking of splitting my lme up. Half at boil and other half at 20m left in boil. These are my ingredients. For 5 gal.
1lb crystal 40
8lb LME Light
1lb DME Light
1oz Cenntinal (to use for bittering )
3oz Mosaic
3oz Cascade
I pack us-05
I also picked up some whirlfloc tablets. I want this brew to be more clear than my last. Any advice will be much appreciated. I am going to brew today and hope the rain doesn't come.

If you want a light golden IPA I'd cut the crystal to 8 oz maybe even down to 4 oz

Step 1: Take crystal extract and pour into lawn.
Step 2: Proceed with brewing.

Joking aside, this is a matter of personal taste. I dont care for that much caramel flavor in my IPAs or Pale Ales. I like to let those hops shine through. When I add crystal, it is generally a light touch of crystal 10 or 20, maybe a half pound.

As far as hop and LME schedule I would use half LME at the start and half at flame out... I would also add all of your hops at flame out

For my 2nd brew I wanted to do a light golden ipa with a abv around 6.5 - 7. I went to my local brew shop and looked at the brewers best kits.
Brewer's Best website lists the ingredients and then you can buy separately (not more cheaply though)
I mention the one below because I have made it twice and it's good so no guessing. Is the low 8's for ABV acceptable to you? It also has a very nice golden color.
Go to "Brewer's Best" and hover over "Ingredients Kits" to see their "premium kits." The whole brewing schedule is there with all the instructions.

Double IPA

FERMENTABLES
9.9 lb. Light LME
1 lb. Corn Sugar
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Caramel 30L
4 oz. Carapils
HOPS
3 packs of 1 oz. Amarillo
1 pack of 2 oz. Lemondrop

Good luck.

I ran this through beersmith and came up with the following

I cut the DME to .5 pound (save the rest in a ziploc) and I cut the c40 to .25

The reason for this was your bitterness to gravity ratio is off so you wouldnt get ipa bitterness without using a fair amount of your aroma and flavor hops for bittering as well. 1# of c40 would have amplified that so it was cut as well.

Steep
C40 .25 pound

Boil 60 minutes
.5 pound DME
3 Pound LME

60m 1 oz Centennital
20m 1.25oz Cascade

15m Whirfloc

15m 5 pounds LME

0m 1.75 oz Cascade
0m 1.00 oz Mosaic

Dryhop Day 5 - 7
2 oz Mosaic Package around day 14

For 5 gallons that should give you a 1.066 OG and about 55 IBU Assuming you are chilling via ice bath or immersion chiller you should pick up a a coupl more IBU from your 0 minute additions.

"Step 1: Take crystal extract and pour into lawn. "

The crystal 40 is my grains for steeping, not a extract. Sorry I should have added that.

I also plan to bag my hops this time. If that would change when they are added.

I ran this through beersmith and came up with the following

I cut the DME to .5 pound (save the rest in a ziploc) and I cut the c40 to .25

The reason for this was your bitterness to gravity ratio is off so you wouldnt get ipa bitterness without using a fair amount of your aroma and flavor hops for bittering as well. 1# of c40 would have amplified that so it was cut as well.

Steep
C40 .25 pound

Boil 60 minutes
.5 pound DME
3 Pound LME

60m 1 oz Centennital
20m 1.25oz Cascade

15m Whirfloc

15m 5 pounds LME

0m 1.75 oz Cascade
0m 1.00 oz Mosaic

Dryhop Day 5 - 7
2 oz Mosaic Package around day 14

For 5 gallons that should give you a 1.066 OG and about 55 IBU Assuming you are chilling via ice bath or immersion chiller you should pick up a a coupl more IBU from your 0 minute additions.
This is right in what I was thinking. Exerted I was planning to use 2oz of the cascade for dry hopping instead of mosaic.
60m cent 1oz
15m mosaic 1oz
00m mosaic 1oz
00m cascade 1oz
Dry hop 2 Oz cascade
I ran it thru brewers friend and got og 1.066 as well with a 1.013 fg. 7 abv
And I will ice bath chill

"Step 1: Take crystal extract and pour into lawn. "

The crystal 40 is my grains for steeping, not a extract. Sorry I should have added that.
Nah, typo on my part. Not sure I've ever seen crystal extract. At any rate I think you'll be much happier with the lower addition you have chosen.

"Light golden" is tough with extract. I'd bet this turns out darker than you think.

I'd drop the C40 completely, not because of the flavor/mouthfeel that most others will bring up (I like a little even in my IPA's) but because it's going to make achieving the light golden color even more challenging.

Also, boil gently and consider adding half of your extract in the last 15 minutes.

Thank you all for helping me! I think I'm gonna be close to what I wanted thanks to the help. I may have topped it off in fermenter with all little more water than I wanted to. I was using a 2.5 gl spring water jug and the cap that let's it out slow popped off while pouring. Bucket says 5g but I think that it's more. Got a og of 1.055. Little lower than my goal. Color is a nice golden. Here is what I did. I have named the beer Help On The Way.

.25 lb crystal 40

60m
4 lb light LME
0.5 lb light DME
1 oz Cenntinal
20m
4 lb light LME
1 oz Cascade
10m
1 oz Mosaic
00m
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic

Pitched 1 pack of us-05 at 75°f

Will pick up more hops and dry hop after 2 weeks for 5 days.
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Cascade

Back