2nd beer down :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
Ok so beerfest round 2 is over. This time was a breakfast stout. My OG was 1.0465, which is right in the range of where I wanted to be. My previous thread was about how my extra pale ale, despite all temps being just fine, seemed to measure WAY too log in OG and SG throughout the fermentation.

I took the "epic fail pale ale" as it is now known into the secondary but it's pretty much bottomed out at like a 1.009 FG, so I guess I could bottle it, although from my calculation it's gonna be like O'Douls. Regardless the second run was great and I got some great gravity readings, it's starting to slowly bubble away and I can't wait to get a drinkable beer in the bottles!

Thanks everyone

Chris

If it is a breakfast beer you probably don't want it to be strong. A low alcoholic beer is not as bad as you think.. For example, you can have a lot of fun with your friends telling them that it is way alcoholic and see how they start acting all drunk because they think they are drunk. Surprisingly it works, I did it as an experiment in college.

If I were you, i would double check the temps, how much extract/grain you are using for this recipe, and remake it in a couple of months. Next batch, make a very strong beers such as an IPA.

So the beer that bottomed out at 1.009 is going to taste like O'Doul's? That doesn't make any sense.

I just went back and checked out your other thread on the low alcohol pale you made...

What was the temp of the sample you used to check the OG?

I gotta agree with others in that I think you have a bad OG measurement. If you took the measurement before cooling... at a high temp (150 or so) that would instantly explain the really low reading. You need to adjust the reading to the temp. A hydrometer is calibrated to 60 degrees so anything above that needs to be adjusted.

I am completely new to this, so correct me if I am wrong. I looked on my hydrometer scale table. Your alcohol content is around 4.5%. That is about average for a beer. O'Douls is like .5%.

Sigh... I'm talking about two different beers.... the breakfast ale is gonna be on point.. the epic fail pale ale, that was 1.020 OG

I bottled 2 nights ago. I'm hopin for the best. I was a few bottles short (well more than a few) so I ended up drinking 6 sierra nevada summer lager and 3 pale ales in a very short time period to free up bottles. Anyway I tested some of my brew and couldn't tell how it tasted after slamming that much pale ale. So its all up in the air at this point lol.

If I recall the OG reading was about room temp as were all subsequent readings, so the temp correction shouldn't be relevant afaik.

It had to be done... had to.

Reeeeal american heeeeroes! Heres to you mr drink 9 beers so you can bottle your homebrew guy..... Your willing to hammer your liver and ruin your marriage just to make sure that the next time you poker buddies come over you can give them a beer that you spent 6 bucks on to keep from buying a bmc the would have loved and it cost you 50 cent. Heres to you, we salute you, Mr slam 9 primo beers to bottle your homebrew guy!

Seriously though, thats awesome! Ive done it, once i had a batch in the pot and went to bottle what is in my fermentor and was 20 bottles short so we bought a case of that bud ale crap and 2 of us pounded it in 45 min. Funny thing is, we could have bought an ale pale at the same store we bought the beer and just bottled tomorow.... But the we wouldnt have had a reason to get completely hammered!

My liver is evil, and it must be stopped.

Back