2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
Ok, so my girlfriend and I are making wine, bottled our first batch, Black Raspberry Merlot, this past Sat. It taste great!! My question is, I just put in the primary a white cranberry Pinot Gris, and while checking contents of the kit, the isinglass packet was pretty cloudy. Is that normal? The one in our first kit was clear. Also, I'm assuming the stirring of the stuff in the primary before I add yeast is to aerate? Can I inject oxygen like I do my beer?

Ok, so my girlfriend and I are making wine, bottled our first batch, Black Raspberry Merlot, this past Sat. It taste great!! My question is, I just put in the primary a white cranberry Pinot Gris, and while checking contents of the kit, the isinglass packet was pretty cloudy. Is that normal? The one in our first kit was clear. Also, I'm assuming the stirring of the stuff in the primary before I add yeast is to aerate? Can I inject oxygen like I do my beer?

I don't know about cloudy isinglass, as I have rarely used it (I want my wines vegetarian friendly). sorry I'm no help there!

But as far as stirring your primary, there are several reasons. One is for oxygenation, and another is to stir in ingredients (like bentonite) that you often add at the beginning. Thereafter, if you are to stir, you are stirring down the "cap" that forms so the fruit doesn't rot and dry out as well as aerating the must.

Back