2nd batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knelson

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch last night and I must say, all my research since my first batch paid off huge thanks to everyone on this site!

I was able to cut my brew process down to 3 hours from about 7. On my first batch it took over 3 hours to cool my wort down. I borrowed a wort chiller this time. Those things work miracles!!!

I brewed a pretty standard Porter.
1 Lb of Black Patent (steeped for 20 min in 3.25 gallons of water)
8.8Lbs light LME (pilsner) late extract addion
2 oz cascade-60min
1 oz East Kent Golding-15 minutes.

The target OG was 1.064, so I also did my first yeast starter!!!

After topping off my carboy to the 5 gallon mark, I mixed the wort by rocking the carboy vigorously. I took a sample knowing that I would probably be on the low side due to not mixing well enough, but I was able to get a reading of about 1.060 so I'm assuming that i was a bit under due to the top off so I assumed that I hit the OG of 1.064.

I woke up this morning and the stopper had blown out of the carboy, I attribute this to water lubricating the carboy opening. I refilled the airlock with vodka and placed it back in the carboy and it immediately started bubbling away.....it was evident that the yeast starter had made a huge difference. Now I am sitting at work wondering if I am going to come home to a huge mess. When do blow offs usually happen if at all?

All in all it was a great brew day...I was able to cut hours off my process and I was able to teach the SWMBO a little about brewing. She was pretty excited to help.

I'm not sure the point of this post, but I wanted to write about my brew day. I cant wait to try this batch in a month or so. If anything jumps out at you please feel free to comment!

Thanks everyone for everyone who contributed to a successful brew day!

Excellent! Enjoying the process is why I (we) make my (our) own instead of just going to the package brewery here in town and getting growlers. (SWMBO helps, but she doesn't enjoy the process as much as me.)

I'm excited that you had so much fun! :ban:

knelson, you have been bitten by the homebrew obsession bug. Life as you knew it is over! :p
Congrats on the successful 2nd batch and glad the SWMBO likes to help, makes it easier later on.
Blow-offs happen when you've got happy yeasts that have gone wild or possibly too little headroom in the fermentor!
When in doubt just use a blow-off tube right off the bat to prevent krausen wall/ceiling art!
Keep on brewing!!

Back