2nd all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishod89

Reaction score
Quick question. If I add a pound of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge, do I take that into consideration when doing my water/grain ratio?

That's probably a little over kill. But I don't make any changes when using them. (Maybe I should) <shrug>

Really? I typically use 5-10% of the huskless grain bill for a typical 5gal batch. (knock knock----) never had a stuck sparge. And words of wisdom passed on to me, I'll also pass on, because they are GREAT words of wisdom:

When using rice hulls----PRE-SOAK THEM in warm water. Let those sponges soak up nice friendly WATER and not your precious soon-to-be-wort.

Really? I typically use 5-10% of the huskless grain bill for a typical 5gal batch. (knock knock----) never had a stuck sparge. And words of wisdom passed on to me, I'll also pass on, because they are GREAT words of wisdom:

When using rice hulls----PRE-SOAK THEM in warm water. Let those sponges soak up nice friendly WATER and not your precious soon-to-be-wort.

Well there's my pearl of the day. Never thought of soaking the rice hulls. Great tip now I have that stuck away in the old memory bank for next time.

Yeah, that was a real eye-opener for me after I came up way short once on a big hefe. And, I guess when you think about it: rice hulls keep your mash nice and "regular" like adding fibre to YOUR diet, hahahah. Keeps things flowing.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I'm starting the mash in about an hour. Can't wait!

Back