27 Gallon Conical Fermenter - Regulating Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
I am in the process of searching for a 27 gallon conical fermenter and have narrowed it down to Stout and Blichmann. This is all new to me going to a fermenter like this.
(1) What are my options to regulate the temperature using these fermentors? I plan on having the fermentor in my basement.
(2) Any one prefer Stout or Blichmann over the other? I do like that there are leg extenstions for the Blichmann fermenter and that there is an access hatch in the lid, letting you add dry hops.
As for the Stout fermenter, I like that there is a temperature dial built right in to the Stout fermenter. Also, the Stout fermentor uses Tri-Clamps(??) not sure if the Blichmann does without additional cost.

Otherwise they seem to have the same features.

They are roughly the same price except the Blichmann ships for free, the Stout fermentor is $150 or so to ship.

Any suggestions, recomendations, advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A fridge is probably your best and cheapest bet. Somewhere on the blichmann website they have a list of fridges that their conicals will fit inside of as well as some links to how-tos on setting everything up. I will see if I can find it.

If you go here and click on the FAQ tab at the top, then scroll down to the "cooling your conical" section, they have some good info there.

I also read about these temperature control gauges (to heat or cool your brew while its in the fermentor). How do they work and can you add one to any conical fermenter?

I have a 27 and I love it. Mine is jacketed which is also great but not practical for anyone who wants to be realistic! I would go with the temperature controlled freezer option. I would also encourage you to look into the 14 gallon size. How often do you like to brew and how much do you drink. 25 gallons is over 10 cases. If you like brewing as much as drinking perhaps the smaller is a better option.

Thanks. I'm actually probably going with the 27-gallon because I will brew with a buddy and split the batches. So I 'only' need to drink 10 cases or so:). And my friends really like to drink also...
As for the temp control, thank for the info. Since I am setting up the fermentor in my basement and use my fridge down there to store my beer I was hoping to not have to put the fermenter in the fridge and was wondering what other options I have....

Back