240v switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDAK

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this switch could be used to switch a 5500w element on and off? Just looking for the simplest method to turn my boil element on and off. I guess I am a little confused about the "120/277 V" in the description. 30amp GFCI breaker already in place. Also, would any other safety precautions still be needed? IE. contactors, relays, etc. Not planing on any digital PIDs or boil controls....just on/off.

Thanks

It should work just fine. 5500w at 240vac would be well below 30A and you've got a 30A breaker in front of it anyway.

Switch seems like it will do the trick.... keep in mind, with just the switch your element will be at 100% power all the time. You will have to be the controller turning power on and off.
I just did my first brew electric. I ended up turning power up to 100, looked away for a second, massive boil over.

FWIW, I have a 5500W electric heating element. In about 6.5 gallons of wort (pre-boil volume) I keep my element at ~32% power. At that level, I get a very nice and vigorous boil. At ~45% the boil is going crazy, almost over the sides of my 15 gal kettle. I would never keep it at 100% power.

Yes, a Leviton 3032, or equivalent, will work for switching a 5500W element on and off. As others have noted, you will not be happy having to control boil vigor from a 5500W element manually. You will end up turning the element on and off every few seconds, and the switch life is likely to be short with this level of use. I suggest you try it out with water first, just to get a feel for the boil vigor you will get with your kettle and liquid volumes. Note that water doesn't have the same propensity to foam up and boil over as does wort, so boiling wort will be even more sensitive than boiling water.

Brew on :mug:

Yes, a Leviton 3032, or equivalent, will work for switching a 5500W element on and off. As others have noted, you will not be happy having to control boil vigor from a 5500W element manually. You will end up turning the element on and off every few seconds, and the switch life is likely to be short with this level of use. I suggest you try it out with water first, just to get a feel for the boil vigor you will get with your kettle and liquid volumes. Note that water doesn't have the same propensity to foam up and boil over as does wort, so boiling wort will be even more sensitive than boiling water.

I was going to say the same.. The cheapest most effective boil controller I know of is still the stilldragon kit here,

https://stilldragon.com/accessories/diy-controller-kit.html

I was going to say the same.. The cheapest most effective boil controller I know of is still the stilldragon kit here,

https://stilldragon.com/accessories/diy-controller-kit.html
Personally, I'd add a 3032 switch to the incoming power of the Stilldragon. If the SSVR fails "on" (the most common failure mode) there is no way to turn off power to the element except unplugging the controller (probably accompanied by significant arcing.)

Thanks everyone!

Looking back it makes sense now why everyone uses some sort of digital controller for 30A elements. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks everyone!

Looking back it makes sense now why everyone uses some sort of digital controller for 30A elements. Back to the drawing board.
Yup.

Digital control panels don't have to be complicated. They can be a simple as:

Minimal DSPR110 240V only.PNG

You can even leave out the 1A switch, since the current draw of a PID/EZBoil is low enough that plugging/unplugging will not cause arcing. Pretty much any generic PID, or any of the Auber EZBoils can be used with this circuit. You just have to change the terminal assignments to those appropriate for your device. I believe the DSPR110 has been obsoleted by the DSPR120 (which has a different pin-out.)

Doug,

Thanks! Can't believe I haven't run across this diagram before. I will put it to good use! I assume that the SSR requires a heat sink?

Just a couple more thoughts on this diagram.

1. I have a 4 prong 240v oven outlet I was planning on using. Where would the neutral fit in to all of this?

2. Can 10 AWG wire fit into the controller or do I need to increase the gauge for those legs?

Just a couple more thoughts on this diagram.

1. I have a 4 prong 240v oven outlet I was planning on using. Where would the neutral fit in to all of this?

2. Can 10 AWG wire fit into the controller or do I need to increase the gauge for those legs?
neutral is not needed.. it would only be useful for 120v devices.. 10awg is good for 30a and is more than enough for inside the panel. I normally install a terminal block with fused 18awg or even 20 awg wire for power to power up the pid since it draws less than 1 amp. Same for the trigger power to the ssr its low voltage DC power so no need for large gauge/current wire. But theres a lot of ways to do it

Last edited:
Doug,

Thanks! Can't believe I haven't run across this diagram before. I will put it to good use! I assume that the SSR requires a heat sink?
Yes. Heatsink needs to be outside of the enclosure.

Back