240V Control Panel Build - HERMS 3 kettles, 2 elements, 2 pumps..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
Morning HBT,

Lots of research over the past year, and I am making the move to electric. I know I know, research more, but maybe this will help pass the work day by.

I want to build a control panel for a HERMS system. The kits are out there, as well as fully assembled panels, however I am a DIYer and also want to keep costs down as much as possible.

Already have 3 (20 gallons) pots, the HERMS kit from stainlessbrewing, and 2 5500W ULD ripple elements. I have been trying to piece together prices, or buy the (2 PID 50a 2 elements kit from ebrewsupply), but keep getting overwhelmed.

End goal is to control MT temperature while recirculating, and then use second pump to transfer and control boil temp (with 2nd element).

Here's an initial list;

TOTAL
139.5 46.5 3 – SYL-2352 PID controllers with SSR output [Auberins]
43.32 43.32 1 – JSL-73A Timer for beer events. Kal uses an Omega timer for usability reasons, but I decided to stick with the same brand as the PIDs just for visual continuity. [Auberins]
7.86 7.86 1 – 120V 22mm Flashing Buzzer [Auberins]
18.02 9.01 2 – 240V 22mm Yellow Lamps (to indicate which heating element is being driven activate for the PID) [Amazon]
23.96 11.98 2 – 120V blue maintained push-button switch for pumps [Auberins]
11.98 11.98 1 – 120V red maintained push-button switch for mains power [Auberins]
5.99 5.99 1 – 22mm 3-position maintained selector switch [Auberins]
1 – 30A analog panel meter [Amazon]
14.04 1 – 300V analog panel meter [Amazon]

Inside Control Panel

11.98 5.99 2 – 40 amp solid state relays. Our system will only draw about 23 amps, but a 40 amp SSR will likely last longer at that current and is marginally more expensive. [Amazon]
24 8 3 – 2 pole, 240V contactor (120V coil) [Amazon]
21 21 1 – 40A black anodized heatsink [Auberins]

Control Panel Back

94.34 47.17 2 – Leviton 2626F 30 Amp, 250 Volt, Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for connections to heating elements) [Amazon]
18.48 9.24 2 – Leviton 4715-C 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for connections to pumps) [Amazon]
26.31 26.31 1 – Leviton 2715 30-Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for mains connection) [Amazon]
11.25 3.75 3 – Panel mount connectors for RTD sensors [Auberins]

472.03 TOTAL

I can get a panel relatively cheap or for free, so that is not a concern. I've read through augiedoggy's post (TD4 PIDs seem to work the same as auberin) for fairly less expensive parts, but here's where I keep going back and forth between piece-pricing everything on my own, or just pony up and buy a kit. I am not really concerned with ordering parts from China, as I can wait the shipping times.

I appreciate any guidance, tips, berating that may ensue. Happy hump day HBT!

You're probably going to need the Male equivalents of the Leviton 2626F, 4715-c and 2715 for power to the elements along with a pair of "Hot Pods" from brewhardware.com (for element connection into the pots)

MAYBE if you want to replace the 4715-C with Slater IG-4710 (picture below - I can send a pair I have spare - with the male equivalents... PM me if you want to go that route, nothing wrong with saving a couple of $$)
l5-15-62318.jpg

IF you're not scared of electricity and dare to be bold, maybe replace the 2626F with Shameless plug sale

Thanks for a quick response. I failed to mention I did purchase the Hot Pots as well. Mainly focused on the CP at this point.

Morning HBT,

Lots of research over the past year, and I am making the move to electric. I know I know, research more, but maybe this will help pass the work day by.

I want to build a control panel for a HERMS system. The kits are out there, as well as fully assembled panels, however I am a DIYer and also want to keep costs down as much as possible.

Already have 3 (20 gallons) pots, the HERMS kit from stainlessbrewing, and 2 5500W ULD ripple elements. I have been trying to piece together prices, or buy the (2 PID 50a 2 elements kit from ebrewsupply), but keep getting overwhelmed.

End goal is to control MT temperature while recirculating, and then use second pump to transfer and control boil temp (with 2nd element).

Here's an initial list;

TOTAL
139.5 46.5 3 – SYL-2352 PID controllers with SSR output [Auberins]
43.32 43.32 1 – JSL-73A Timer for beer events. Kal uses an Omega timer for usability reasons, but I decided to stick with the same brand as the PIDs just for visual continuity. [Auberins]
7.86 7.86 1 – 120V 22mm Flashing Buzzer [Auberins]
18.02 9.01 2 – 240V 22mm Yellow Lamps (to indicate which heating element is being driven activate for the PID) [Amazon]
23.96 11.98 2 – 120V blue maintained push-button switch for pumps [Auberins]
11.98 11.98 1 – 120V red maintained push-button switch for mains power [Auberins]
5.99 5.99 1 – 22mm 3-position maintained selector switch [Auberins]
1 – 30A analog panel meter [Amazon]
14.04 1 – 300V analog panel meter [Amazon]

Inside Control Panel

11.98 5.99 2 – 40 amp solid state relays. Our system will only draw about 23 amps, but a 40 amp SSR will likely last longer at that current and is marginally more expensive. [Amazon]
24 8 3 – 2 pole, 240V contactor (120V coil) [Amazon]
21 21 1 – 40A black anodized heatsink [Auberins]

Control Panel Back

94.34 47.17 2 – Leviton 2626F 30 Amp, 250 Volt, Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for connections to heating elements) [Amazon]
18.48 9.24 2 – Leviton 4715-C 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Flanged Outlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for connections to pumps) [Amazon]
26.31 26.31 1 – Leviton 2715 30-Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White (for mains connection) [Amazon]
11.25 3.75 3 – Panel mount connectors for RTD sensors [Auberins]

472.03 TOTAL

I can get a panel relatively cheap or for free, so that is not a concern. I've read through augiedoggy's post (TD4 PIDs seem to work the same as auberin) for fairly less expensive parts, but here's where I keep going back and forth between piece-pricing everything on my own, or just pony up and buy a kit. I am not really concerned with ordering parts from China, as I can wait the shipping times.

I appreciate any guidance, tips, berating that may ensue. Happy hump day HBT!

Well just a heads up, The auberins pids are made in china too.
says so right on the ezboil controller I just bought from them auber did design them though and thats something...along with thier support if you feel youll need it. The factory there in china is selling non branded clones of some of them for $30 shipped direct on aliexpress and alibaba.
I ordered my mypin pids from distributors in the states on ebay... there are plenty.. even newegg has them. Had them in a few days not that it mattered.
its really about whatever you prefer I myself have decided to try aubers ezboil because of the added features I would get in my setup vs a pid but my other two mypin td4 pids are staying because they work flawlessly. I wanted the built in timed heat and alarm plus I wanted to be able to wire my ezboil to automatically start my secondary timer for hop additions when the boil starts.
I know you can save about $100-150 on your list above if you buy the exact same stuff elswhere...
I know it convenient buying everything at the same store... hell thats why theres groceries at walmart now..

Good luck whatever you choose at least you an educated consumer and know your options.

Thanks augiedoggy. Educated to some sort of level to know there's always a way to cut corners. I have an electrical engineering background so I am comfortable with all the wiring that will be necessary.

Recalling some designs I have seen, I think I could get away with the timer for the beer events, always have kept the stopwatch going on the phone. Should I hone in on just a simple setup then with only 2 PIDs like the ebrewsupply kit and start price-finding from there?

Thanks augiedoggy. Educated to some sort of level to know there's always a way to cut corners. I have an electrical engineering background so I am comfortable with all the wiring that will be necessary.

Recalling some designs I have seen, I think I could get away with the timer for the beer events, always have kept the stopwatch going on the phone. Should I hone in on just a simple setup then with only 2 PIDs like the ebrewsupply kit and start price-finding from there?
Well in this case im not suggesting cutting corners... besides the pids all the exact stuff from the same manufactuers actually sells for as little as less than half of what aubrins marks it up to for resale...it adds up to a lot for convenience is all im saying. there no real justification besides that for it... even if you bought the stuff from a seller who wont replace it if theres an issue which is highly unlikley given ebays and amazons policies... you could buy almost everything twice and still be right around what you would pay to purchase once from auber..(ok slight exaggeration but you get my point)

I dont have an electrical engineering background but I service and repair large electromechanical printing and prepress equipment and I built my panel from scratch.. no kit needed just use one of the many diagrams posted on this forum... I did do a half assed attempt to list all the components I used in my build thread... You could substitute what your likely not comfortable using like the speakon connectors with nema connectors (Not that If had a single issue with them in all the brewing Ive done in the last 4 years or so using them) but they dont lock in well.. which is why I used 25a aviation connectors on my second panel build :)

Was P-J's list of diagrams post not working correctly, thought I checked it for the system I am intending to build, but could not find.

Was P-J's list of diagrams post not working correctly, thought I checked it for the system I am intending to build, but could not find.

The graphics for many of P-J's diagrams were linked (on other servers) rather than embedded (or hosted by HBT.) Apparently the diagrams are no longer hosted at the original locations, so are no longer available.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back