2352 PID leaking... help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
i hooked up a PID controller with 2 5500w elements, 2 240v 50a contantors and a 40a SSR. so i made sure that my PID was in default settings with the sensor for a RTD.

I turned it on and it was fine. kept at temp perfectly with the pump running and the valve closed less than halfway. tried again now even with my desired temp lower than the actual temp, the elements are still on. i looked and the light on the SSR is off. when i set the temp higher than actual, then the SSR turns on. so i know the SSR is working correctly.

Is there anything else i may need to do on the PID settings? i double checked the wiring for the diagram and its all correct. can the connectors be bad?

heres the diagram i used. ingnore the switches and the potentiometer and ssvr. i decided not to do it cause i couldnt understand the switches.

plan5_zps5d9695f2.jpg

Looks like your burned out a triac inside an SSR.
For 2x5500 Watt elements you need at least 50A rated SSR. And a quite big heatsink.
SSR has two parts optoinsulated from each other. the lights you seeing is belong to input part and it's OK. But output part (triac) is broken.

okay, i have a spare. ill try with one and see if it works. it totally happend when i plugged both elements. it worked fine with one.

DAMN. your right. thanks for the quick and accurate reply. so lucky i have a spare. im going to run a single element till i get a 50a SSR.

Back