21 year mead questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Since my son was born 2 months ago and I was lucky enough to find a local apiary with a large amount of "mead" honey, I plan on a large batch of long term mead...

Here are the basics:

6.5 gallon batch
25 lbs of wildflower honey

I planned on using D-47 (I got 5 packs) and trying to follow the staggered nutrient additions in the sticky...

Would a starter be advised or should I just rehydrate and pitch the 5 packs?

TIA :mug:

-quack-

That is a big mead. I would definitely go with a starter and feed that mead slowly over the course of at least 6 months, or more. You are looking at around 20+%, so that will need a big dose of yeast. Another thought for you to ponder... How about a burnt mead? Look on this forum or google it.

While it certainly never hurts to make a starter, it really isn't necessary. If you rehydrate the yeast properly, provide adequate nutrients, and provide proper aeration, the yeast will be able to grow and divide to reach a biomass that will allow complete fermentation. For a high gravity start (this will probably be around 1.140) I'd suggest pitching 2 packets of yeast. Your can pitch more if want, but it really isn't necessary if you are providing nutrients. Granted, you're only talking about saving $3, but every bit helps.

If you aerate, provide nutrients, and keep the pH in good range, this fermentation should be done in about 2 weeks. If you want it to taste best, keep the temp < 70 F. You're not going to get 20% ABV since D47 has tolerance to about 14%. You'll get 14% ABV with a final gravity of around 1.030 - very sweet. Such a mead should be able to age nicely.

Good luck!

Medsen

Can you say who the apiary is? I've had several recommendations from people who know-someone-who-know-someone and it never pans out.... in GA. Thanks!

not to get off topic but I know a couple apiaries in coastal GA. I have some farmers on the hook who love that I am a "regular", they really like that we do what we do and I always tell them that without bees we're all screwed so we have a mutual benefit. I have been connecting our local brew club with them to help everyone out. Some in Savannah, some in Brunswick, and I bet they know someone closer to you. Let me know and i'll send send info.

Can you say who the apiary is? I've had several recommendations from people who know-someone-who-know-someone and it never pans out.... in GA. Thanks!

So sorry for the long delay... Pesky 6 month old kinda takes a bit of time...

The apiary is at the corner of Sandy Plains and Westley Chapel Rd in Marietta... The owner is Jim Mabry... Here is the website and his number...

Mabry Farms Apiary

This is an awesome idea. I was just talking to my son(13 years old) about doing this very thing, but on a smaller time frame. We both thought it would be cool to make something now, and when he's 21, crack open the first bottle. I need to research this idea more and come up with a few recipes and pick one.

Back