21 hours have passed and not a bubble in sight ... HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonehead

Reaction score
So i made my first must .52% tartric 1.132 Og pitched sweet mead yeast at 72 degrees F the yeast instructions call for 70-75 F 21 hours in and not a bubble in sight .. anyone have experienced words of wizdom for me?

Hey...What's this link about??? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

Experienced words of wisdom? RELAX!!!!

:mug:

Also, bubbles mean nothing...the airlock is a vent, nothing more...don't think that nothing's happening just because the airlock isn't moving. It is a cheap 2 dollar lump of chinese plastic...not a precision instrument...The only precision instrument that can tell you what is going on is your hydrometer....but since you are making cider, and that takes months...just relax....everything is fine.

I wouldn't worry either.

What brand of sweet mead yeast did you use? Wyeast states that theirs will go to 11% ABV which would leave you with a pretty high FG. White Labs on the other hand claims 15%

batch one is bubbling away now thanks.. I used white labs WLP720 .. my only concern now is will all the honey ferment leaving me a nice sweet/dessert mead or will i have a weirdly sweet mead with unfermented honey

I used white labs WLP720 ...
Ugh! Unfortunately that yeast is quite finicky... :( More often than not, I read where mead makers have used that yeast and end up with fermentation problems - I used it once and decided never again.

In the past 10 years I have never had a fermentation problem, with one exception and that was WLP720. White Lab liquid yeast for beer have been very good for me, but when it comes to mead I only use properly rehydrated dry yeast.

If your mead is in fact stuck, then I might suggest you read the Mead FAQ on restarting stuck fermentations. My method has worked well for others (on at least 3 other brewing forums). Good Luck... ;)

First off, is it bubbling yet?

I've used White Labs Sweet Mead yeast a few times. I don't recall having any fermentation issues. I believe White Labs claims a tolerance of 15% ABV, so I wouldn't expect it to be overly sweet. We just distributed a club mead project (100+ gallons) using White Labs Sweet Mead yeast. The OG was 1.112 and the FG was 1.000. I didn't expect the FG to be that low. We had aged the mead for a year in Lairds Applejack barrels. The Applejack that leeched out of the wood may have lowered the FG a bit.

If it cuts out at 15% it should be dessert wine territory. It should land in the 1.02 range

I've used WLP720 before and was underwhelmed. It seemed like it took forever to take off, even with massive aeration and yeast nutrient to the must. Now I use any wine yeast and I get better results.

they seemed to have taken a little longer to start than I expected but they are, all 3 batches ,cranking out the CO2 . I have a really good feeling about the outcome . Now that I have to wait at least a year to be happy I am gonna start beer . I need instant gratification.

Back