20cf Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
My best friend gave me an older deep freeze that he no longer needs, and since he's a fan of my beer, he decided I could use it to build a keezer.

The deep freeze that was donated is between an 1982-85 Citation and it just over 20 cf. I am still in the planning phase, but I think it will end up being just a collar build and not a coffin, for now. Nothing over the top, just functional.

Right now I am hoping for some advice on a temp control unit. Due to its age, is there one that will work better?

Another question I have that seems to around 50/50 from what I can find here.

Is it worth insulating the collar, or does the wood do a good enough job?

Another question I have that seems to around 50/50 from what I can find here.

Is it worth insulating the collar, or does the wood do a good enough job?

I am in the same boat, just started my 6.8 cu. Keezer build and iam just staining the collar now. I did pick up some left over foam board from work and am gonna insulate it just for my own piece of mind and (cause it was free)

Thanks RocketBrewer, I hadn't really thought about any moisture buildup. Definitely going with insulation.

I was a little delayed on actually doing anything to this freezer. But I had sometime today, so I built a simple dolly to put it on. The reason for this was so I could easily move it, but also because it is going to sit next to my workbench and under the fold down stair access to my attic. So I had to have it mobile.

I haven't started on the collar yet, but that should be complete this weekend.

I went ahead and rigged up the temp controller so I could "make sure it worked"....aka play around with it. Everything seems to check out, so I'm a happy camper. Once I build the collar it will be moved to its permanent location.

20150305_112818.jpg

20150305_134048.jpg

Here are a few pics of mine. My Keezer is a 14.7cu ft it has a bilge fan attached and PVC running all around the bottom and up by my faucets. Never have a problwm with moisture. Polyurethaned the wood collar.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330_2.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Here are a few pics of mine. My Keezer is a 14.7cu ft it has a bilge fan attached and PVC running all around the bottom and up by my faucets. Never have a problwm with moisture. Polyurethaned the wood collar.

I saw the PVC idea on another keezer earlier today. I haven't planned on doing that, but after watching mine run for a couple hours, I think it might be a good addition to help maintain temps throughout the entire box.

The bilge fan works great actually ordered from Walmart online. I drilled holes in the PVC to let air circulate throughout the Keezer. The PVC on top left cools my faucets really nice

It is a 3" fan with attached to a reducer. I got this idea from another Keezer thread on this forum.

It is a 3" fan with attached to a reducer. I got this idea from another Keezer thread on this forum.

Thanks.

Also could you do me a favor? I ordered a snow shovel off Amazon, and its currently at the Fedex hub in Indianapolis, mind grabbing it for me and driving it down to Kentucky? hahaha

Buddy of mine sent pics of his place in Ky. You guys got hit pretty hard, enjoy the snow shoveling.

Back