2016 New Years Beer Resolution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawZziff

Reaction score
My New Years resolution this year: (and so far so good if I don't count what I drank between Jan 1st count down and whenever I passed out that night) is to only drink homebrew! It can be my own, or anyone elses but if someone offers me a commercially made beer (or any alcohol for that matter. the father-in-laws shine should be acceptable though, no?) I will be respectfully declining for the year.

I see two major benefits of this; Saving money on store bought booz (prices are getting rediculous in Canada). And, of course, motivate me to brew more. Which it has, I've already done an imperial stout and next week I have plans to do an American IPA.

What about you? Any New Beers Resolutions? Or past (un?)successes?

I'll never give up the commercial beer, it's where I get my inspiration and there's just so many unique things out there. Also Canadian (Vancouver) and feeling the price crunch a little bit and do plan to buy less (less multiples).

I got a little carried away with experimentation in 2015 and it resulting in a number of disappointing batches. I'd say half the brews I did were off the mark to various degrees. For 2016 I want to take a step back and focus on doing some simpler beers really well and then ramp up the experimentation after that. I want to hone in on a great saison and a great English barleywine from which I can develop variations from.

Last year I decided to only buy two cases of commercial beer. Two specific cases, actually. I still drank commercial when I went out, but was more concerned with changing my home consumption, (which is substantial).

I did end up buying a third case of a one-off batch in early December, but didn't open it until January, so I think I succeeded.

It forced me to brew more, which I really enjoy, and saved me a ****load of money in the process.

@ the OP

If you are with friends and one offers you a commercial brew you are going to say no thanks because you only drink homebrew?

I'm having a hard time believing this.

You won't drink free beer if it isn't homebrew?

Really?
:confused:

@ the OP

If you are with friends and one offers you a commercial brew you are going to say no thanks because you only drink homebrew?

I'm having a hard time believing this.

You won't drink free beer if it isn't homebrew?

Really?
:confused:

Ya why not? I would respectfully decline and explain my reasoning and that would then lead into a wonderful discussion about homebrewing and they would ask to come see a brew day and that would inspire them to brew there own and I would happily taste test for them!

That or this will be one of many failed resolutions! Either way, why not?;)

LostBoyScout I don't know if you use any brewing software but I purchased Beer Smith this past year and I found it dialed in my recipes perfectly. even doing a little experimentation things just seem to work out better. before I would try to brew a certain style and couldn't even come close.

My 2016 beerlution is to continue gathering equipment to do bigger brews, gain more knowledge on the subject as a whole, get a healthy yeast farm going, and numero uno, get a pipeline of never ending home brew. Seems simple enough.

Resolution or not, if you turn down free beer for any reason, you are doing life wrong!

perhaps you are right daksin, perhaps.

My 2016 beerlution is to continue gathering equipment to do bigger brews, gain more knowledge on the subject as a whole, get a healthy yeast farm going, and numero uno, get a pipeline of never ending home brew. Seems simple enough.

+1... but in life. not just 2016.

The last two years I have resolved to brew more than the previous year. So far I have met those goals. I have only been brewing those two years, and with two young boys at home and another on the way, this year may be a challenge. I am up for it. Here's to a happy new beer!

LostBoyScout I don't know if you use any brewing software but I purchased Beer Smith this past year and I found it dialed in my recipes perfectly. even doing a little experimentation things just seem to work out better. before I would try to brew a certain style and couldn't even come close.

Yep I use beersmith (just the app) and hit my numbers pretty well etc, the issues i've had are more to do with both experimenting with grains and sugars, and trying different things in secondary. For example 15% buckwheat honey is too much, I know this now. Cheers!

To brew big beers.
Starting with a RIS this weekend which will be aged on oak cubes soaked in bourbon. I haven't decided which bourbon yet.

Febuary - Barleywine
March - Wee Heavy

I will be attempting partigyle on all these brews.
I have my BIAB process dialed in so i feel confident enough to step it up and brew big beers.

To brew big beers.
Starting with a RIS this weekend which will be aged on oak cubes soaked in bourbon. I haven't decided which bourbon yet.

Febuary - Barleywine
March - Wee Heavy

I will be attempting partigyle on all these brews.
I have my BIAB process dialed in so i feel confident enough to step it up and brew big beers.

had to Google a few of those things. the 'R' to your IS, partigyle, BIAB. all sounds wonderfully awesome.

just did an imperial stout myself and about to rack it onto some oak cubes. soaking them in whiskey though, same same imo. never tried it before, should be interesting.

To brew more. I did a bunch of huge gravity beers late '14, and hence had a plugged pipeline for most of '15, and did far less brewing than I would have preferred.

My 1st brew will be a session pils, maybe a mild after. Some big beers that can sit in cases a few years. I would like to do a dozen brews in '16.

My New Years resolution this year: (and so far so good if I don't count what I drank between Jan 1st count down and whenever I passed out that night) is to only drink homebrew! It can be my own, or anyone elses but if someone offers me a commercially made beer (or any alcohol for that matter. the father-in-laws shine should be acceptable though, no?) I will be respectfully declining for the year.

What about you? Any New Beers Resolutions? Or past (un?)successes?

My resolution for 2015 was to not buy any commercial beer unless we are at a restaurant/brewery. I didn't want to limit myself to no beer when going out with friends or going for dinner. I was successful and all beer consumed at home and at friends houses was homebrew in 2015! I will keep up the practice since making homebrew is so stinking cheap for me now, but I look forward to buying some commercial beers for special occasions (probably unique beers in bombers).

My goal is to not buy (m)any hops in 2016. Going to be flipping hard as anytime I buy brewing supplies I have a tendency to thrown in some new hop.

It's a shame because I really want to a brew a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but with TriplePearl and Cashmere as an 'update' to a classic; as TriplePearl has Perle as a parent and Cashmere has Cascade as a parent.

Starting off making lighter, more session-able beers (4%-5%). We'll see how long that lasts...

Starting off making lighter, more session-able beers (4%-5%). We'll see how long that lasts...

I make loads of those, but I plan to step things up and brew some of the big beers this year that I keep putting off.

I'd also like to limit my hop purchases until I've mowed through most of the ones I already have.

And I'd like to continue my trend of minimal commercial purchasing.

My goals are pretty much my regular goals of trying some new styles and perfecting my usual recipes. The main style I would like to get a good handle on is pilsner (seems like a nice clean and crisp one would be difficult to make).
Another goal is to make some really simple recipes and test out different ingredients to get a better understanding of individual ingredients. I've already split a batch between WLP001 and WY3711 and am planning a spit mash between two types of hops. I was thinking of testing out some local grains, but I think I need a better idea of what to look for first (by doing 2-Row vs MO or Pilsner first).

I think a lot of my batches will get split this year. I dream of making a 9 gallon batch, splitting it between lager, ale, and saison yeasts (fermented at the appropriate temperatures).

I either want to beat my number of batches last year, or actually make a point to enter competitions that are within a reasonable distance this year

I either want to beat my number of batches last year, or actually make a point to enter competitions that are within a reasonable distance this year

Yes! Great big +1 on competitions. haven't entered one yet and I think the feedback would bring a guys brewing to another level.

Yes! Great big +1 on competitions. haven't entered one yet and I think the feedback would bring a guys brewing to another level.

Id go for it. Ive only done a single one but you never know whatll happen. I was certainly glad I did it

Actually I thought about it and my goal, by the end of the year, is to have my name on a tap in a commercial brewery.

My brew-goals for 2016 include:

-Getting a 10 gallon pot so that I can do no-'sparge', full volume B.I.A.B. boils on my stove/larger batches outside on my Bayou burner,

-Practice minimizing sediment in my bottles,

-Perfecting 3 recipes that my girl will love (already did a great job on a Czech Pilsner in October. She raved just about every time I handed her a glass)

-Getting quicker and more organized with my brew/bottling days.

Well mine is more modest. I've got the ingredients for an all grain lager in my closet (and refrigerator) waiting for the first moment after our winter trip to be made - or the first moment where the temp isn't below freezing, as the garage is a bit nippy when the windows are cracked open. This is only the 5th beer we've made, and the first all grain...so to brew this beer to be ready for summer sipping! And probably after it's brewed and starting to perk, to get some nice ale going. And regularly keep a good one in the pipeline...

Our big goal is to decide how and where to set up a keezer so I don't have to bottle all of these things any more!

To all those nay-sayers regarding my resolution....

You win.

An entire year, let alone the first month, I don't think I'm serious enough for that. And in reality I don't think I even believed I would actually do it. I brew small batch (1-2 gallons) I just can't get my pipeline rollin enough to keep myself stocked up. Commercial beer is just necessary.

My NEW New Years resolution! Enter a brew competition. That one is way funner and much more achievable than my original goal! :drunk:

Mine will be sticking to the best recipes I've done over the last few years so I can improve my technique and understand water treatment a bit better.

I think I'm going to stop harvesting yeast from bottles for now as I'm worried I might have got some off flavours from it. Once I'm happy with what I'm making from yeast I've bought I'll possibly have another go at it.

Back