2016 Hop Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a planter from a friend who left two rhizomes outside for 3-4 years and did not water, or fertilize. I gave the plants some TLC, and already they are about 7 inches tall. Looking at these two planters (and my 10 foot long trellis):

1. When should I start cutting vines.
2. How many vines should I leave (I was thinking 8-12 per plant).

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458760088.004863.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458760110.088399.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458760127.330784.jpg

Thanks for the helping a first year hop grower!

Thank you for the info! Has anyone found the beginning of May to be a good timeframe for New Jersey(vs. Wisconsin where this hop farmer was at)?It has a slightly more northern latitude, so it should be similar, right?

Thank you for the info! Has anyone found the beginning of May to be a good timeframe for New Jersey(vs. Wisconsin where this hop farmer was at)?It has a slightly more northern latitude, so it should be similar, right?

I did last week of April last year and harvested late August/ early September. I'm going to hack everything back mid April this year to try and allow for more green growth time. We have had mild weather (northern illinois) and will likely continue that trend in April. It's strange that I have 6 inches of growth already on some plants.

I got a planter from a friend who left two rhizomes outside for 3-4 years and did not water, or fertilize. I gave the plants some TLC, and already they are about 7 inches tall. Looking at these two planters (and my 10 foot long trellis):

View attachment 346352View attachment 346354View attachment 346355

1. Cut back the first shoots (bull shoots).
2. Train 4-6 bines per plant up your lines.

I am moving in late May, if I buy some rhizomes now, and plant them in large pots, will that have too much growth to move about 10 miles? I'm in Southern NH, so zone 5a/5b

Just keep the rhizomes in the fridge and plant in May. A lot easier to move.

You will not get much from them in the first year anyway, it is mainly establishing the root system.

View attachment 346352View attachment 346354View attachment 346355

First they are called BINES not vines. Second I'd move those pots outside the rope you have setup. I would let them grow as much as they wanted and not cut anything back this year just for caution. I'd want to make sure they came back healthy instead of worry about hop production.

Southern Connecticut. Got a nice day yesterday and I was off, so I decided to prep. SWMBO was awesome and suggested we move some roses and a hydrangea to make room. I made a couple of boxes like some other postings here and sunk them. That was a lotta freakin work. The boxes are 24x24 and 12" deep and the garden is full of potatoe sized rocks. Anyway, lookin good so far. Today I'll run the coir climbing lines up to the eaves.

image.jpg

I'm in North Texas and my first year centennial are taking off. About a foot tall for the first bine in 20 days from rhizome. I planted two rhizomes per pot. Should I just let 4-6 bines per pot go or per rhizome? Also how many bines per climbing rope? Thanks in advance first time grower.

2016-03-27 10.14.10.jpg

I'm in North Texas and my first year centennial are taking off. About a foot tall for the first bine in 20 days from rhizome. I planted two rhizomes per pot. Should I just let 4-6 bines per pot go or per rhizome? Also how many bines per climbing rope? Thanks in advance first time grower.

First year you will be lucky to get 4 bines. Let them all grow. You want as much green growth this year to allow the roots to grow and sustain a strong foundation for future years. I would focus more on proper soil care, watering and fertilization the first year and you may get lucky like I did and still end up with a lot of hops the first year! 12oz for me.

CA hop grower here, anyone know of any sites still taking orders for rhizomes? I was trying to lock down some different not so common varieties (Pacific Gem, sorachi ace, warrior, or others) but seems that it's getting more difficult to get varieties as of late. Any help is appreciated

CA hop grower here, anyone know of any sites still taking orders for rhizomes? I was trying to lock down some different not so common varieties (Pacific Gem, sorachi ace, warrior, or others) but seems that it's getting more difficult to get varieties as of late. Any help is appreciated

Try great lakes hops. They have established plants for sale.

Finally getting growth here in MD. Good solid rain this week and mild temps has spurred the 'purple asparagus'. I am quite relieved!

Since I started both my hop plants last year from already established rhizomes, it's very cool to see these initial stages of development. It feels in a way like THIS year is just as much my first year of growing as last year.

View attachment 1459369215928.jpg

Went out and trimmed back most of the new growth yesterday as shown in the first picture. The second picture shows the shoots after being cleaned up. The green ones on the left are mostly cascade which I was only able to use the tips because they were quite prickly. The purple ones on the right are centennial and had smooth shoots.
I cooked up the two groups of hop shoots two ways. The green ones I simply cooked in the microwave. The purple ones I cooked in a grill pan on the stove in some rosemary seasoned olive oil.
The green ones were very slightly bitter, whereas the purple ones were quite delicious.

IMG_20160330_134856179.jpg

IMG_20160330_140428179.jpg

Went out and trimmed back most of the new growth yesterday as shown in the first picture. The second picture shows the shoots after being cleaned up. The green ones on the left are mostly cascade which I was only able to use the tips because they were quite prickly. The purple ones on the right are centennial and had smooth shoots.
I cooked up the two groups of hop shoots two ways. The green ones I simply cooked in the microwave. The purple ones I cooked in a grill pan on the stove in some rosemary seasoned olive oil.
The green ones were very slightly bitter, whereas the purple ones were quite delicious.

I didn't know you could eat them. What do they taste like?

The purple ones were bland in flavor. I cooked them along with asparagus with the same seasonings. The hop shots were like tiny asparagus spears, a little crispier though.

There's quite a few hop shoots recipes online. Pickling them comes up a lot on a google search.

Just curious since this is the first I've seen anybody put a box in the ground... what is the purpose? Is it to keep the roots from taking over the rest of your garden?

Just curious since this is the first I've seen anybody put a box in the ground... what is the purpose? Is it to keep the roots from taking over the rest of your garden?

Oops. That was supposed to be a reply to Philipmeese's post

Yes, exactly. It's supposed to contain the roots because apparently, although we humble souls are trying to grow our hops plants, after a while, they can becom an invasive species and wander all over the place underground.

I guess I saw that on a video somewhere. Seemed like a good idea for containment, but also for anchoring the climbing lines.

More build pics now that it's done (and again sorry for cross posting in the 2014 thread)

And BTW my rhizomes came yesterday. We're expecting some sub-freezing overnight temps next week so I'm just going to leave them in the fridge for now and plant them next weekend (reminder: southern CT).

File_000 (2).jpg

File_000 (3).jpg

File_000 (4).jpg

File_000 (1).jpg

File_009 (1).jpg

Well, I've got my order of field grade plants from Great Lakes Hops. They just came in the mail this morning. I'm hoping to get them in the ground on Sunday. But I still need to get my trellis up. I've got the location prepped, but have to get the lumber and assemble the darn thing.

12417873_10209366180898243_8936001336403871942_n.jpg

I was going to take some update pics today but here in Michigan it has been snowing all day long. I hope my hops make. They are all up.

Got my first rhizomes yesterday and planted them today. 2 Cascade and 1 Centennial. They looked great with lots of little buds and shoots on them so I'm hoping they take. All 3 were as big around as my ring finger and about 6-7in long.

Cut back all growth today. I a.so moved thwarted bed ditto first year cascade and the root system justtookOVER the garden. Seriously...this WILL take over a yard. 12' horizontal growth for 2' vertical. Covered in hot mulch and more IDGAF attitude. I have a hop garden planned with garden beds and a 20' structure.

I'm so sad/pissed. Had 4 solid 2 year old rhizomes in the ground. I was waiting patiently for them to sprout this year, but had nothing so far. Finally got around to checking them today, found out that gophers had gotten around the steel wire mesh and eaten all my rhizomes. Bastards.

A picture I took yesterday of my second year cascade making an appearance. Now it's covered in a couple inches of snow with more snow expected tomorrow. Gotta love New England.

cascade 4-2-16 (360x640).jpg

Went out today to cut out old growth and check the hops. All mine are starting to come up. Cascade, Magnum and Hallertau. The magnum and hallertau field grade from Great Lakes Hops I planted in October are looking good. I then covered everything back up. I'll trim them back in the next few weeks.

I suppose I'll have to get my trellis system and drip system ready.

5 out of my 6 hops are doing well. Sadly, my Golding plant seems to be DOA... Nothing growing out of it, and the stuff that's showing is spongy/rotten.

Ordered a Willamette to replace it.

Southern CT. It's actually snowing today. Overnight temps this week are predicted to be below freezing several nights.

OTOH my rhizomes, in their little plastic baggies as shipped, and stored in the butter tray of the fridge, have sprouted little shoots.

Should I plant the rhizomes? The beds are all ready. I could have them planted in 20 minutes.

I'm so sad/pissed. Had 4 solid 2 year old rhizomes in the ground. I was waiting patiently for them to sprout this year, but had nothing so far. Finally got around to checking them today, found out that gophers had gotten around the steel wire mesh and eaten all my rhizomes. Bastards.

<silent moment>

Southern CT. It's actually snowing today. Overnight temps this week are predicted to be below freezing several nights.

OTOH my rhizomes, in their little plastic baggies as shipped, and stored in the butter tray of the fridge, have sprouted little shoots.

Should I plant the rhizomes? The beds are all ready. I could have them planted in 20 minutes.

I would make sure the baggies are open, they plants will need air, and then you could just lay them in some dirt that you transplant into the yard later.

Hop update. So we had snow on Sat. Pics are from Sunday. Today we are also getting snow so I put dirt on top of them.
Chinook, Columbia, Cascade and Centennial

Hops_2016-6.jpg

Hops_2016-9.jpg

Hops_2016-10.jpg

Hops_2016-11.jpg

I would go ahead and plant them. Below freezing isn't going to do anything especially when the ground is going to stay warm.

Back